
LDS.org
Beloved Church President, Gordon B. Hinckley, Dies at 97
SALT LAKE CITY 27 January 2008
SALT LAKE CITY 27 January 2008
President Gordon B. Hinckley, who led The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints through twelve years of global expansion, has died at the age of 97.
President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since 12 March 1995.
The Church president died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from causes incident to age. Members of his family were at his bedside. A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days.
President Hinckley was the 15th president in the 177-year history of the Church and had served as its president since 12 March 1995.
The Church president died at his apartment in downtown Salt Lake City at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night from causes incident to age. Members of his family were at his bedside. A successor is not expected to be formally chosen by the Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles until after President Hinckley’s funeral within the next few days.
I will remember him most for all of the temples built and dedicated during his time. The conference center was built. The Proclamation to the World, The Living Christ, and The Six Be's will be remembered greatly. I will always think of his love for his wife. He said this of his wife after she passed away, "She was the girl of my dreams when I met her and now, she is the girl of my dreams again." He loved Marjorie so much, and now he gets to be with her again. President Hinckley was very sweet, and yet, sometimes kind of grumpy. I remember when he was dedicating the Winter Quarter's Temple, and his wife was taking her sweet time saying "hello" and giving hugs to all in her path. He started getting onto her, and in a ruffled way, said, "Come on, Dear. Lets hurry it up." We couldn't stop laughing. President Hinckley was in the media many times and did everything with love and goodness. He talked about how the world would be a much better place if everyone was treated the way people treated him. I will remember his talk on forgiveness when he read about the story of the turkey being thrown through someone's windshield. I will think of the podium in the Conference Center and how it was carved from the Walnut Tree in his backyard. I will think of his love and zest for life. The man had more energy at 96 and 97 than I have had my whole life! I just have so many memories of this spiritual, humble, wonderful, and adorable man. He will be greatly missed.
Please fill free to leave any good memories you have of our dear Prophet.
3 comments:
I love that you posted about President Hinckley. I was just thinking about doing that because he was such a part of our lives. I loved reading what you wrote. Keri, you're awesome! --Twink
I am glad that you too, posted about President Hinckley. I also felt he was definitley worthy of a post. Such good memories of such an amazing man. I think if anyone else at the age of 97 had passed away we would have thought, oh they were old it was time, but Pres. Hinckley just seemed invincible and even though we knew it would happen it is still hard to imagine this world without him. He will be missed.
It has been wonderful reading so many friends blogs and hearing so many testimonies of our beloved prohet. What a great way to remember such an extraordinary man!
Post a Comment