Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mere Observations

Dad read to you guys tonight, while I pretended to take care of some relief society business in the kitchen. Around the corner, I kept peering to steal glances and hear giggles and squeals, as your dad made the book come to life with spooky sounds, off-key Ogre antics, creepy witches' laughs, and every child's Halloween delight. Both of you were so excited to spend some time with your dad. Then, he tucked you lovingly and gently into your beds. I listened to the conversations of repeated, newly learned facts about the body, the latest cut or scrape on your leg, and the anticipation for "apple" day tomorrow at school.

At that moment, I realized that nothing else matters: how much weight I have to lose, the laundry to be put away, the papers to fill out, the undecorated rooms, or the past events from this weekend. Cherishing the time we have together and relishing in those moments is what will stay with us forever. And counting those blessings, as well as tending to the needs of others is just as important.

I woke up this morning and picked up right from where I left off yesterday. There was such a vast number of situations and circumstances to tend to that I literally forgot about our recent dilemma. Really, it didn't occur to me until about half way through today. That is the power of service. When we lose ourselves in helping others, Heavenly Father allows for us to focus our energy and attitudes towards other things. Exercising faith becomes instinctive and we find it much easier to trust and submit our will to His.

Oh, I am so grateful for His wisdom, for His direction, love, plan, ability to know us better than we know ourselves, the lessons He teaches us, the promptings and intimations of the Spirit, the personal revelations He has entrusted me with, and the many other blessings I enjoy. We really are blessed. Even on our hardest, most difficult days, we are children of God. He loves us. As we follow Him and in the strength of Jesus Christ, we can do ALL things.

3 comments:

Rachel Seren said...

Sounds like we are going through and have been having the same feelings lately! Thanks for putting it into beautiful words. We should plan a get together one Sat, or even maybe a Sun since I know that it's busy season for Ryan.

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing your beautiful insights. It's the reminder I need almost daily. It is easy to get caught up with the daily "to-do lists" and I sometimes forget what matters most. Thanks for the reminder!

Seantae Jackson said...

Isn't so true. And somehow we tend to get off track so easily, worrying about all the seemingly little things. I too, am so grateful to know that with Christ, I can move mountains.