Monday, April 21, 2008

Music To My Ears

Yesterday during church, I had the opportunity to see Matthew through different eyes. He decided shortly after the speakers had begun, that it was time to entertain the people around him. He drove his car on the girl's head in front of us, stretched the sleeve of the woman next to us, and demonstrated the maneuverability of his dump truck to the kids behind us. I decided that I had had enough of his arguing with me and lack of cooperation. We headed for the foyer, where I seated him on the couch for a time out. After a few minutes of sitting in silence, I began to hear him make various shooting and truck noises. I looked over and Matthew had his hands at his temples, pointing his index fingers forward, like he was aiming for a target. I told him that he needed to sit quietly for the remainder of his time out. He informed me then, "Mom, I'm doing my 'fire-BOOM'!" His tone sounded so insulted, because he obviously was doing the natural.

Another moment happened about a week ago. Matthew very quietly (which is a rare thing in itself) came up to me to ask if he could tell me a secret. He then whispered very sweetly, "Mommy, you are such a special mommy and I wove you." Nothing could have melted my heart more.

The last amazing moment of the week happened this morning. Colorado has had amazingly beautiful, yet windy, weather over the last several days. We took advantage of it this morning by spending our time at the park. As soon as we arrived, Matthew walked over to the sand box and asked the little boy there if he could share his shovel with him. The eager little boy gladly accepted. Matthew went on to deliver a sand tool to each child in the box. It was so sweet. When we gathered our things to leave, he said, "Bye, Friends. Thanks for playing."

These are the moments that make each day worth it for me.

7 comments:

Allred Family said...

That is super Cute, I love it when they say the Sweetest things, and Share that's the best!!!!

AdAmy said...

These are the moments that make all the hard and stressful ones worth it, one hundred fold.

Sara B said...

Isn't amazing what we can learn from these little ones. He seems like such a fun and cute little boy.

Becky said...

What a cutie, I can't wait til Tyler can talk. I wish we could all hang out!

Rachel Seren said...

How sweet, when life is hard or the kids don't listen as well. I try to remember those moments and it helps calm me and allow me to handle the current situation properly. He is such a sweet kid!

kevin and angie said...

Keri too cute!! I hope that you write those stories in your journal! It always helps to look back at the funny and sweet things our kids do. I seem to forget sometimes, and it helps to have a reminder when they may not be quite as pleasant. :)

Julie said...

I love it Keri. I can't wait for Cameron to be able to talk to me. It melted my heart to hear the sweet things he whispers to you. Those really are the Mother Moments we all secretly hope for! I love it. Thank you for sharing...I will try to think of things like that the next time Cameron has broken all of my necklaces and put my cell phone in the garbage. I think it would help.