Monday, April 7, 2008

My Testimony

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to share some of the feelings I had after watching Conference, but I really want to share my testimony. This Conference covered so many topics. It's almost overwhelming to look back on. However, there are a few key things that stick out.

For one, on Saturday when we participated in the Solemn Assembly--this was the coolest thing. In case you don't know, twice a year the Mormon church / Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has a General Conference. At this conference, we receive counsel from our Prophet, auxilaries, and general leaders of the church. We sustain the leaders of the church at the beginning of each conference. However, there is a slight change when a prophet passes on. The following conference, we participate in what is called a Solemn Assembly. This is where we stand with our designated organizations and quoroms as individual groups and then as a whole, sustain him. When we sustain the Prophet, we pledge our support and our discipleship. President Hinckley, our last Prophet passed away a few months ago. Since then, a new Prophet has been called. His name is Thomas Spencer Monson. I've always felt the Spirit of the Lord when President Monson has spoken. However, when we sustained him on Saturday, as the acting Prophet, seer, and revelator for the church and the world, tears were brought to my eyes. I had this overwhelming feeling of peace and happiness that a Prophet of God was standing before me. I received such a special witness of his divine calling and his dedication. It was such a sweet experience.

Something else that stood out to me was Richard G. Scott's talk on abuse. People who have been abused or are currently being abused can be healed through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. In Matthew 11:28-30, we are told to come unto Him. He will lift these burdens and help us to forgive and move forward with our lives. For the perpetrators, all hope is not lost either. Christ suffered for the sinner and those sinned against. If proper counsel is sought, healing can occur there, and an individual can overcome their sickness of hurting others.

President Uchtdorf's talk also hit me really hard. He spoke about honoring our heritage. He said that the faith of our Father's was laid before the foundation of this world. The faith of our Father's is Heavenly Father's faith, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It has always been the same, and will be the same tomorrow. He is the same Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow. When we choose to follow Him and keep His commandments, becoming a true disciple of Jesus Christ, we are not turning our backs on our ancestors and hurting their traditions. We are following after the pattern of the One and Only Almighty.

And probably the last talk that touched my heart the most was Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk on mothers. He quoted a woman who said, "...the biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of the three of [my children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages 6, 4 and 1. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less." I make this mistake so often. I need to live in the moments of motherhood. I need to basque in the little joys that can be found in the simplicity of each day. There is always something sweet and darling that my little children do and something that they teach me. I'm so grateful to be a mother. It is such a wonderful blessing! I need to stop taking it for granted.

There were many other talks given that too touched my heart, but these stood out the most to me. I have a lot to work on, but it's okay. I feel uplifted, encouraged, and edified. I have faith that I can be better and work hard. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ, and I'm so grateful for His glorious Gospel. I know that He lived a perfect life and taught us how we should live ours. He suffered in Gethsemane for each of us that we might repent and return to live with Heavenly Father. Words cannot adequately express my gratitude for the drops of blood that were shed on my behalf. Because of His suffering, Christ has perfect empathy for all of us. He understands our weaknesses, sicknesses, sorrows, sins, temptations, and so much more. Upon His suffering in Gethsemane, Christ was lifted on the cross at Calvary. There, He suffered a most excruciating death in being crucified. He then was laid in a tomb, and on the third day, He was risen. He ascended to His Father, and overcame death through resurrection. He lives today! The Church of Jesus Christ is the true church of the living Christ. It teaches true doctrines with the proper authority, the Priesthood. The Priesthood and church were restored to the Earth through Joseph Smith. At the age of 14, he didn't know what church he should join. He retired to the woods near his home in Upstate New York to ask the Father what he should do. I testify that Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, appeared to this boy. They told him not to join any of the churches. Instead, they told him that they would send messengers to tell him what to do. Angel Moroni appeared to him three years later in his bedroom one night and instructed him. He went on to translate The Book of Mormon, another testament of Jesus Christ. The sealing powers were restored through him, and many doctrines and revelations were received. He was the first prophet in this, the last dispensation. There have been many successors to his presidency. Today, Thomas S. Monson is our prophet. He holds all of the keys that each of the prophets of old held, such as Moses, Noah, Abraham, Isaiah, and others. He is the mouthpiece for the Lord. I know that through repentance and baptism that we can return to live with our Father-in-Heaven. I testify of these things to you in His holy name, even Jesus Christ. Amen.

7 comments:

Jenni S said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite conference highlights and your testimony. I enjoyed reading them. It really was an uplifting weekend.

Sara B said...

Beautifully written- thank you

Rachel Seren said...

I too loved the talk about mothers. Since I have to work, I focus less on the things that don't matter and just enjoy my kids, I hug and snuggle them so much more. And enjoy each moment I have with them, I still try to teach and help them learn, but it's a 2nd in my priorities,where it used to be my first. Quality time is now #1. One of my favorite memories of last week wasn't when Jesse learned something new(which is always great) it was sitting with them on the driveway a child in each arm watching a storm roll in and feeling the cool breeze playing "I Spy!"

Ellis said...

Hi Keri!
I don't know if you'll remember me from the 5th ward (I think it was the 5th ward!) but I wanted to leave a comment and let you know I stumbled onto your blog and thought it was time to let you know I'm reading! Your family is beautiful and it looks like you are having a lot of fun adventures!
~Kori (and Chase) Ellis

kevin and angie said...

Keri, I had a lot of the same thoughts as I enjoyed conference! The talk about young mothers really stood out, and in fact, I have listened to it again since. I found it very motivating to me to be a better mom, and to not worry about things that really don't matter! Who cares if the dishes don't always get done right away? I find that not only are my kids happier when I take more time to enjoy them, but so am I. The other talk I loved was President Monson's talk at the very end. He is such an amazing person! I found it amazing that while I watched the Solemn Assembly I could feel the Spirit SOOO strongly... even with a movie in the background that my son was watching. I am so thankful to know that there is a Prophet of God on the earth that is leading and guiding us. The leaders of the Church have such a way with words. They can speak on sensitive topics without offending, only inspiring. I LOVE General Conference, and wish it took place more than twice a year!!
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, and for your sweet testimony.

My Five Little Monkeys said...

Keri, what fun you found us! I am glad you saw our blog and hope you read the Christmas Letter at the end because you were one of those people we didn't send to this year--lost your address! So thanks for stopping by. Your boys are beautiful and you will love having the two brothers be best friends, just like my first two. I'll be checking back to see what you guys are up to! Julie Konchar

The Sagers said...

I loved to read your testimony. It reminded me of the sweet spirit I felt when I was around you. You love to share your testimony and do missionary. I need to take a page from your book and share what is most precious to me.