Sunday, September 21, 2008

Matthew's Birthday

So of course, being the genius that I am, loaded these in backwards order, but such is life.

David was feeling a little bit jealous that the camera was on Matthew yesterday, so this morning after he woke up (while we were still sleeping) he decided to demonstrate his artistic side. Click on pic for a close up. This is the cake we will be having today at Mama and Papa Allred's house for his birthday celebration with his cousins. It was supposed to be Star Wars theme, but Matthew insisted on having the Batman mobile for his pinata, so . . . no harm done, this cake was much easier to make than a Star Wars Yoda or x-wing fighter. Anyway, I think it turned out really cute. Many thanks to my husband. He helped me find a pattern to work and coached me along in the decorating process. (I need to buy a cake platter. All I have is this flat Christmas plate to put cakes on. Kind of ghetto, but it works. And Matthew does not care!)
The City of Plano Balloon Festival
We did not make it out to the festival and felt really bummed about that, but it just wasn't going to happen. Thursday was the biggest "melt-down" day and I needed a breather on Friday. Plus, Ryan had an away football game, and I was not about to tackle an outdoor place with hundreds of people--perhaps even thousands--by myself with screaming children. I felt kind of bad about it, because I knew my boys would love it.
Anyway, we were going for a family walk last night, the last night of the festival, and all of a sudden we look up to the sky to see these beautiful, multi-colored, huge hot-air balloons RIGHT over our apartment complex. It was the coolest thing!
I think we counted close to a dozen different balloons. The boys loved it!



And a new found love for Matt: his bicycle. We sort of tossed around different ideas this year, as to what we should give him for his birthday. He has too many trains already, tons of books, and lots of other toys. We always are so impressed by Carter, Matthew's cousin, who already knows how to ride a bike and scooter--and he's AMAZING at it (NOTE: Carter is about four months younger--Jan., right?). So . . . we sided with this Target special bike. It was right in our birthday budget, and Matthew LOVES it! He was so excited!
It was a little rough going at the beginning, but in the end, he was cruising! He picked up so fast.
And you'll note, he's not wearing any shoes. How safe, Keri! Yes, I know. Unfortunately, we were having a real struggle with him and his shoes. He couldn't get the pedaling right while wearing them. As a result, Ryan taught him without shoes on. It doesn't really make sense, but that's what happened.
The other safety factor--where is this child's HELMET?? Well, I bought him a Thomas helmet. I wasn't trying to, but it just worked out that way. Target was completely out of his size helmets. It was either Thomas, which happened to be clearanced out, or a huge helmet for 7-year-old kids. However, the Thomas helmet did not fit his head when I came home. So . . . I plan to go look for a new helmet for him tomorrow morning. In the meantime, we look like neglectful parents.

The initial reaction was so great!
Matt's first "Power Rangers" soccer game
The name is a top-notch choice, I know. The kids picked it out--imagine?! I don't think that Matthew even knows what the Power Rangers are. He's never seen any of the tv series.
Anyway, he played really well. We were worried about his attention span and cooperation, but he did great. He even kicked the ball several times. Each time, he would look back at us and get our approval. It was so fun to watch!
The most exciting part for him was bringing the snacks for after the game. It was our turn, and being his birthday, we made special smiley face cupcakes (I'd intended on making soccer balls, but they looked so unclose to the actual images that I simplified to SIMPLE smiley faces. And the kids didn't even care--BIG SURPRISE!), gogurt, and grapes. The little boys were in HEAVEN!
After Matthew's game, Ryan took him for a daddy date to see Star Wars: Clone Wars. Granted, we know that this movie had terrible ratings by critics and fans. However, to a little boy name Teus, this was the icing on his cake, the making of his day, month, and year. He had arrived! Ryan bought him a junior pop-corn and HAPPINESS was achieved!

14 comments:

Rachel Seren said...

I can't believe he is four already! Then I stop and think Cole is almost there as well. He looks so grown up. Cole is starting soccor in a week or so too, with the hurricane I am not sure if they will push it back or not. I wish we were closer they could be on the same team. Happy Birthday Matt!

kevin and angie said...

SO fun!! I love that the balloons were above your home, awesome!! I want to get Andrew a bike to, he has a trike, and has always REFUSED to try the pedals, and now his legs are too long to do it. What a happy birthday! You did a great job on the cake, too!! YUM!

Katie Jane said...

What a big boy!! Happy birthday! Those hot air balloons were so cool. Lucky! How is football season going? Is it running you ragged yet?

Jenni S said...

Birthday's are so fun. Cute cake. And I love the soccer pic's. I think it is so much fun to watch your own kids in sports as they're starting out, it's SO adorable.

Allred Family said...

Wow I cannot believe how close Matthew and Caleb are. Bikes are the BEST....we bought one for Caleb last year, but he wanted NOTHING to do with it until about a week ago!!!!!! Soccer looks like lots of fun....I am a little afraid to start Caleb. Let me know how he likes it.....maybe next year!!!!!

Tracy Giles said...

Wow, so many fun pictures! Happy Birthday Matthew! He looks great on his new bike. I can't wait until Lily is old enough to play soccer. Looks like you guys are having fun. :)

AdAmy said...

Happy Birthday Matthew! Looks like a fun-filled event. Great job on the cake Keri, I think it looks awesome. I love David's artistic talent displayed on his arms.......gotta love it.

Love Our House said...

What a fun day! So cute. He's absolutely the cutest little man ever! I love all the picks. Four years! Amazing, and it just flies by. Great job! Brit :o)

Ben, Starlene, Aiden, Brynlee, and Kynzee said...

How fun. What an amazing birthday party. You did such a great job. I can't believe he is old enough to play soccer already. I can't wait for that next year. Oh..Ben is not into sports at all, never has been. My brothers on the other hand Love every sport on the planet.

The Utterback Family said...

Happy birthday to Matthew! We hope he had a great day. Mom told me that he's loving soccer, but tends to have a football effect on the field (carrying the ball with his hands). I guess that means he's his dad's boy deep down huh. I'm feeling good... getting rounder but all is well and healthy. Have fun seeing Elder McLeish return home this week! Wish we could be there!!!

Heidi said...

Happy Birthday Matthew!! I envy your cake decorating skills. I wish I could make some cute cakes like that! Your kids are so adorable Keri! I love looking at all the pictures you post, they are very photogenic. To answer your question, my hubby is leaving for training in two weeks (he'll be gone for three months) and I'll leave the end of next month. So I'll only be in the house for a few weeks while we're trying to sell it. Hopefully everything will work out!

jason and michelle clarke said...

Keri, you always have the kindest and best ways of saying things. Thank you so much for the comment, I appreciate it more than you might know.

I'm glad that Matt's birthday turned out good and that he liked his bike. That's fun!!!

Becky said...

It looks like Matthew had a fun birthday! He looks so cute in those pictures of him playing soccer, I can't believe how big he is. I guess to me, he is stuck in time in that one time I saw him when he was a tiny months-old baby!

DLonna said...

Happy Birthday, MAtthew! We had so much fun!! YOu are an awesome little (sorry!) big boy! I always smile when I think of your cute life and smily face.