Monday, September 15, 2008

Welcome to Life in the SLOW Lane--Come on Over!

I had a lady almost run into me via her road rage driving skills today. She simply seemed to be in a big hurry. She tail-gated me through the light, held her horn, and then went around me. Next, she proceeded to speed on past me and cut off the guy in front of me. It was a little nuts, and for some reason, I didn't react the way my instincts normally would have. My son said, "Mom, that lady is not driving nice. She needs to swo down!" He then attempted to call her a name. I found myself talking him out of it. "Matt, we don't know what kind of day she's having. Maybe she's really upset or just in a big hurry. Either way, we should not call her car a name."

Over the past week, I have had a lot of time to reflect on the pace of our life, my life as a mom. Some days, I feel like we are way too busy--going to the gym, playgroup, school, feeding the missionaries, soccer practice, softball, etc--not to mention all of the little things like family prayers, scriptures, cleaning the house, etc. But last week something happened.

My husband talked me into reconnecting with some friends via facebook. I'm really not a big-time "my Space" or "facebook" person. But I guess, I really wanted to get in touch with some childhood friends. As I have been catching up with so many of them, I've realized, "Wow, we do live life in the slow lane." So many have asked, but "what else", almost implying that perhaps I'm not so busy with my children. Perhaps, I have a lot of spare time on my hands.

Most days are spent on my knees either in prayer or playing with my kids. We do a lot of horse rides, train table stuff, read about trains and animals, singing, talk about sharing and why it's so important, puzzles, and other activities. I am a referree of many arguments between my boys. I change DIAPERS! Sometimes, little boys spit at me or stick their tongue at me. I'm told, "I want Mama (Grandma)!" Time out is a regular part of our day. I've learned the art of recognizing the oncoming of a melt-down and then actually dealing with one or ignoring one. Either way, my day is never quiet or boring or empty. I feel like we pack so much into it. And although, it's not filled with famous people or wardrobes of fashionable clothes or an office full of people to congratulate me on a good job, it is the life above all else that I prefer.

I LOVE being a mom! Each time the boys learn something new or stop playing for a moment to come tell me that they "wove" me or kiss me, it melts my heart. Tonight, for FHE, Matthew was so excited to learn about Daniel and the Lions' Den. When we got to the part about the actual lions and explained that Daniel was locked in the den with them, his eyes got so BIG, and he said, "You're kidding me!" Ryan and I both started cracking up. David has started praying in his own language, but he kneels and says "Amen" clearly. They do so many sweet things throughout the day. And it's those little moments that I live for. This is the most difficult job I've EVER had, but it's by far the most rewarding as well.

Heavenly Father has blessed me so much with a wonderful little family and extended family. I could not ask for a better support system. I'm so grateful to an eternal companion who communicates with me so well. We can be honest with each other and confide in each other our true, most inner thoughts and feelings. And he works so hard to keep me in the home. This is so important to me and to us. Although many days, it would probably be much easier to send the kids to a babysitter and go to a desk job, I am so grateful that I get to stay home. I feel really blessed. Bring on the Thomas videos, t-ball games, and PTA meetings. I'm excited to be a MOM!

8 comments:

Ben, Starlene, Aiden, Brynlee, and Kynzee said...

I am so glad that you found me. I miss you so much. Your boys are gorgeous. I looked through most of your blog and absolutely love it. I will finish looking through everything when I get another second. That picture of me was taken just this last march. I had a glamor picture day with my sisters. I was 5 months pregnant, but the pictures made me feel good. There is another glamor pic of me and my two sisters in my older posts. I will keep checking your blog for fun stories about your family. love you tons.

Jackie said...

Ditto!!!

Rachel Seren said...

I think I posted a similar topic a few months ago. It amazes me how many people try to make us feel like we aren't doing anything but just watching our kids. If more people stayed home and raised their kids themselves I really believe a lot would change in the world.

kevin and angie said...

Oh Keri, you are such an awesome mom! The last couple of weeks I have been feeling overwhelmed with my day to day life, a mom... and it CAN be hard, because so many things we do seem to go unrecognized. Just last night I was thinking about this, and I realized that each time I get a hug, a kiss, or a smile from my kids, that is their way of saying to me, "Thanks mom, you are doing a good job." Being a mom is the hardest job I have ever had as well, but oh so worth it!! Thank you for your thoughts, I needed them!!!

Nancy said...

Way to share your testimony of motherhood. On the way home from work yesterday, Bradyn shared that Elder Perry, I believe, is encouraging all members to have a blog and share their testimony on it.

Becky said...

thanks Keri. I couldn't have said it better but I feel the same way so many times.

AdAmy said...

I loved this post because I'm feeling the exact same way and it is so good to hear it from someone who is in the same boat as I. It's fun to see everyone's comments and be reminded that there are so many Mom's out there that are going through the same things as me, being overwhelmed yet feeling a sense of accomplishment and joy that cannot be imitated in any other way. I especially agree with Rachel Seren's comment. The world WOULD be a better place! But the world would disagree, it would have you believe that you are not contributing to society unless you are out there in the work force, and kids just tie you down.
Thanks Keri for your thoughts on this, it really just made my day.

Ellis said...

You always write so beautifully! I love visiting your blog and finding such strength and the spirit. Thanks for always sharing your views on motherhood and what a great blessing it is. You inspire me Keri!