One of my mother's sisters works for a public high school in Centennial, Colorado. Among the school traditions or newly-found traditions is that of raising funds to provide Thanksgiving dinners for local families in need. The school allots a block of time on a designated day for said families to come pick up food in paper bags filled with delicious eats for the holiday.
Last year, the block of time was coming quickly to a close. About 5-10 minutes before they shut their doors, a single mothered family walked in with several children. They quickly chose a bag and headed out.
My aunt began locking the doors and closing up. Shortly thereafter, a little boy, looking to be close to five or six years of age, came walking in, struggling to carry a heavy frozen turkey in his arms. She inquired as to what he was doing. He explained that "there must have been a mistake and his family grabbed the wrong bag." "Why do you think you grabbed the wrong bag," my aunt asked. "We've never had a turkey before. This must be for someone else." Through her tears, she explained that there was no mistake. The bag was for his family, including the turkey. She said the little boy's eyes lit up and excitement rose in face and voice, as he exclaimed, "Thank you so much!"
This story has sort of been imprinted on my heart. There is something so precious about an innocent child who refuses to complain about his circumstances and that shows such gratitude. And when we look to our own situations, we realize just how much we have and how we've been blessed. Do we submit, as this child does--accepting Heavenly Father's will for us and being without guile or malice?
This season, I've spent much time reflecting on Heavenly Father's hand in my life. I'm amazed and humbled that we've been blessed so much temporally. Compared to some, we probably appear to be quite poor, but to many and just from mere existence, I feel like we have been blessed beyond with measures of wealth. We have a good and stable job. We have a roof over our heads--a nice and clean one at that. We have health insurance and whenever we have a need, it is met. We have been sealed in the temple for all time and eternity. I have a spouse, who honors his Priesthood and covenants. He loves me and supports me. He sacrifices and serves on our family's behalf every day. He recognizes and understands his role as patriarch of our home and leads our home as such. I have two beautiful children and a third on the way. I have the privilege of staying home with my children. They depend on Ryan and I to provide for their temporal and spiritual needs. We seek to raise them in righteousness and provide a safe haven and refuge from the storms of the world. We know of Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. This knowledge has blessed us more than anything else we have. It guides our actions each day and gives us happiness. We know where we came from before this life on Earth. We know our purpose here and we know where we are going after this life. We have family members who love us and care for us. The blessings seem to continuously flow from Heaven, and we feel blessed.
Another specific blessing stems from the wards we have lived in. Prior to our move, we had to solely depend on our ward for support. Without fail, they came through. They provided meals, blessings, transportation, day care, prayers, and a listening ear all while Ryan was here in Houston and I, by myself in Dallas, took care of Matthew's surgery and a broken down vehicle. (My parents came to the rescue in this situation as well.)
Our ward now has done just the same. Over the last little while, some complications with the pregnancy have presented themselves and kept me from walking or standing. Many days, I am down. Our ward has provided meals, prayers, phone calls of encouragement, cleaning, and day care to help lift our burdens. We feel forever indebted to them and know that once more, Heavenly Father has kept watch over us and left us in His care.
What a wonderful time of year this is--both of reflection and celebration!
3 comments:
What a great story! It made me quite teary that a simple turkey could light up a child! How amazing! We are truly blessed and you always help me to remember my simple blessings. I am so glad that you have been in, and are currently in an amazing ward! I know from experience the amazing blessings that come from a helpful ward. I am glad that you are surrounded by loving members and family who are more than willing to help you! You are an inspiration to us all! Love you girl!
Keri, you are such a great example to me. Your optimism is something I strive for. I'm sorry you are having complications with your pregnancy, and am so glad you are in a ward that takes care of you. Thank you for this post.
Keri! You truly are inspiring. I appreciate your honesty, faithfulness, and golden heart! I pray that all goes well with the remainder of your pregnancy. Thank you for being such a great example to me through the years. You are AMAZING and I love ya!
Post a Comment