Friday, June 4, 2010

Handmaids of the Lord

I cannot get past these thoughts over the past couple of weeks. Particularly, I continue to reflect on several conference talks that really touched my heart. Specifically, I want to quote Julie B. Beck and M. Russell Ballard.

Julie B. Beck quoted Eliza R. Snow and said this, "We want to be ladies in very deed, not according to the term of the word as the world judges, but fit companions of the Gods and Holy Ones. . . . Women should be women and not babies that need petting and correction all the time. I know we like to be appreciated but if we do not get all the appreciation which we think is our due, what matters?"

I love this quote. Sometimes, it may sound harsh, because it's pretty bold and blunt, but it's true. I feel like I often speak my mind, without nurture and charity, feel justified, and then, have to be told the obvious that I'm out of line and not following the Spirit. I so want to be one of these handmaids that lives this way, always "fit to be a companion of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost."

In addition, I really enjoyed the quote, "Mothers can feel help from the Spirit even when tired, noisy children are clamoring for attention, but they can be distanced form the Spirit if they lose their temper with children." This seems to be the story of my life. I reprimand my children for being too noisy or fighting by yelling at them or losing it and allowing anger to take over. This talk was a great reminder to me of where I want to go. Even though it offered correction, it also offered hope. I can live by the scripture, "Charity never faileth." I'm a good mother, and I can do this.

The other talk, which continues to play over in my head is M. Russell Ballard's. He quoted Joseph F. Smith with, "It is not for you to be led by the women of the world; it is for you to lead the . . . women of the world, in everything that is praise-worthy, everything that is God-like, everything that is uplifting and . . . purifying to the children of men." How often do I idolize people in the media, by reading gossip magazines or following celebrities on the Internet? These are not the women I should be admiring. He continues, "The Apostle Paul spoke prophetically of 'perilous times' that will come in the last days and specifically references something that may have seemed particularly perilous to him: 'silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts.' Popular culture today often makes women look silly, inconsequential, mindless, and powerless. It objectifies them and disrespects them and then suggests that they are able to leave their mark on mankind only by seduction--easily the most pervasively dangerous message the adversary sends to women about themselves." He then, talks about how women teach their children by their example. Immodest mothers reflect immodest daughters. And visa versa. In addition, this applies to every standard and virtue a woman lives by.

Elder Ballard also brings up another really amazing point. He said, "Satan is always attempting to undermine the most precious element of a woman's divine nature--the nature to nurture." This quote gives me chills. It's so powerful. Further, "Joseph Smith counseled, 'The tongue is an unruly member--hold your tongues about things of no moment.'"

Before having children I used to feel sort of like a doormat. I didn't stand up for myself often times and considered myself to be a non-confrontational person. Since then, I have changed quite a bit. I have no issue with speaking my mind, sharply and harshly. I have no issue with talking back to someone who has hurt me or wronged me. Absolutely, I have to change this. Elder Ballard's talk made me realize how Satan really does tempt us and push us to lose that nurturing ability. He makes us think that we have to be tough,hard, unforgiving, and prideful. Each of these quotes touches on a part of charity and patience. It is my goal to be kinder, sweeter, softer spoken, more forgiving, and overall, less confrontational and less sharp tongue. I can do it.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful post! I have found myself struggling with being the kind of mother my children need me to be. I felt like I was actually improving and doing better for about two weeks, and now I'm back to where I was - losing my temper, raising my voice and letting my emotions get the best of me. I feel like we are often on the same page with motherhood. Thank you for sharing the feelings of your heart. It's nice to know that someone else is going through the same thing. I appreciate your honesty and your humility. You are such an example to me. We really need to live closer to each other. :)