I'm not sure that I really have that much to say, but I just feel this inner urge to spill my thoughts, or at least dabble at them.
Yesterday, I thought Matthew hadn't made it home after getting off the bus. For about 15 minutes or so, I had no idea where he was. In those 15 minutes, which felt like an eternity, I supplicated to Heavenly Father in my heart. I pled with him to keep my Teus safe. I contemplated what it would be like to be one of those parents who has a child taken from them. I didn't panic and I didn't let my thoughts go further than that. I remained calm and put off all the things that could be done to harm a child. Instead, I thought about faith and prayer. I felt peace and when I found him hiding in the backyard, I ran for him, and I wept. Again, I supplicated to the Lord--this time gratitude for my little lost lamb.
These thoughts turned to thoughts of what Heavenly Father must feel for us when we stray and make bad decisions. How He yearns for us to return to the path and come back to Him. My vision of parenting is so limited; yet, I learn lessons each day. He teaches me through my children and the experiences we encounter. He teaches me as I watch my little garden grow.
Yesterday, I shared a picnic outside with Davey on the stones by our flowerbed. It consisted of peanut butter and jelly, some Pringles (a first for David--maybe a second. I never buy these), an apple, and an oatmeal cookie (a Little Debbie--another first). He has that serious and grumpy look so often when he is concentrating on his eating. Again, my mind turned to various reflections while we ate.
I began thinking about the blessing it is to stay home with my kids. It is difficult and sometimes, I cry. But it is so happy and joyful too. I just did our taxes for 2010 last night. Compared to most people, we don't make that much money. Yet, we are blessed to be able to make it work so that I can stay home with my little chickies. This is a rare gift indeed. I'm so blessed to have a husband that sacrifices so much in order to keep me home. Yesterday, I accomplished practically nothing. If you had come by, you would have noticed the whopping pile of laundry on my couch, unpacked suitcase from our weekend travels to Dallas, sand sprinkled throughout my family room floor, dishes piled high, spilled colorful cheerios all over the kitchen floor, random bits of cut-up paper from homemade kites and rockets by Matthew, puzzle pieces, and more.
But you would have also found one blissful mother, basking in the sunshine with her littles, dirt on our hands from a little bit of work in the garden, worn bikes from a short ride (since I forgot the boys lost riding privileges), and you would have heard various conversations about "when I become a dad, I will drive a car" and "I'm tough even when I get a scrape" or "I love that pizza, Mom, but I don't like the pepperoni" and endless giggles from tickles during tuck-in time. You would have seen a mother, who felt so needed and loved by her little men. You would have smelled and tasted a delicious homemade pizza crust, topped with a not-so-tasty homemade pizza sauce (not a new recipe we will keep around), and you would have felt soft, soft skin, as you kissed six perfectly satin cheeks good night.
And then, you would have witnessed a miracle, as this mother felt complete and recharged, ready to do it all over again today. Who knew we were capable of so much love and life.
Ethan is almost walking and he's so pleased with himself. He pushes his walker through the kitchen and family room, grinning as he goes. He giggles and sucks his little thumb. He hugs and cuddles me. Sometimes, he kisses me. Oh, I am one lucky mama.
In the words of D'Lonna, "I wouldn't trade any of my boys for all the girls in the world."
4 comments:
Excuse This House
Some houses try to hide the fact
...That children shelter there,
Ours boasts of it quite openly,
The signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows,
Little smudges on the doors
I should apologize, I guess
For toys strewn on the floor.
But I sat down with the children
And we played and laughed and read
And if the doorbell doesn’t shine,
Their eyes will shine instead.
For when at times I’m forced to choose
The one job or the other,
I’d like to cook and clean and scrub,
But first I’ll be a mother.
--Author Unknown
Kerri- you always inspire me!
Keri - Thank you for this beautiful post! It truly is an amazing gift to be able to stay home with my kiddos. I have similar feelings and my house is often in the same disarray, but my kiddos are loved and looked after my their mama. Thanks for lifting my spirits and helping me see the good in all things. I love ya!
I love your thoughts, always share them. What a great reminder that the hard moments would never get traded for something different!
I read your blog all the time but haven't been so great at commenting lately - sorry about that! I tend to only blog about the positive, wonderful things going on in our life. Sometimes I feel like people don't care or don't need to know about the hard, blah, lonely, or frustrating times. But then I read your blog and get so much strength from your honesty and openness about life. I really look up to you and think you are amazing. This post was much needed after a hard week with Genevieve. Sometimes I forget to enjoy the sweet moments. And a lot of times, I get frustrated with the never ending housecleaning and toy picking up and all of the messes. For me, motherhood is pretty lonely and has a lot of other hard things that come with it. But like you, I am so blessed that I get to stay home with my children. I am striving to find more joy and fulfillment in being a SAHM. Your post really hit home to me. Thanks for sharing. You are beautiful and articulate.
I am interested in learning more about your couponing too... if you have time and/or energy, I'd love to hear what and how you do it! :)
Post a Comment