It's been an emotional day. I dropped Matthew off to his preschool today for the first time. He'll be attending Pearson Early Childhood five half-days a week. I cried prior to our arrival and after, but stayed strong while we were there. I just feel really dumb I guess. Everyone told me. Everyone said, "Enjoy this time. It will be gone before you know it. They don't stay little forever." But I didn't realize how close that time was. It's like it took me by surprise or attack. And Matthew didn't look back. He told me when we arrived at the school, "Bye, Mom." I hadn't even undone his carseat at that point. Then at every opportunity, he attempted to have me leave. Much to his dissappointment, however, I accompanied him to his class. I had to ask him three times to come over to me, so that I could take a decent picture. I guess I'm grateful that he's not the child the teachers will have to worry about wanting to come home. He's so excited to be in school. Except when I picked him up and finished asking him about his day, I told him that he was so lucky because tomorrow he gets to go again. He gave me sort of a questioning look and said, "Oh? I am?"--like he thought maybe this was a one day thing? And David did better with separation from his brother than I thought. He wouldn't take his nap, but he didn't cry or anything when we left Matthew in his classroom.
Below are just a few (A few to us, since we have albums upon albums of pictures, maybe like a lifetime of pictures for everyone else) shots of our sweet "Teus". We've been smitten with him, since the day the doctor placed him in our arms, and probably before that. I guess, we've loved him since we found out he would be joining our family, but I didn't realize just how deep that love was until I was asked to let go today. I realized once more, how dependent upon prayer I am as a mother.
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)
.JPG)






















And just in case you are dying to know which bag he is sporting, that would be the "Big Guys" / "Bumble Bee" / "Transformers" backpack. His old backpack was too small for the required size, so we ran to the mall before school to find one. JC Pennys was having a sale, and just our luck, they had a big selection. I perused over the charcoal grays, camo's, navy blues, and blacks, but Matthew had already seen it: the one true desire of his heart. Something about the cheaply designed, plastic cover caught his attention, and he was hooked--there was no arguing. In a couple of weeks, when this one bites the dust, I'm sure we will find ourselves out again shopping for an amazing backpack, but this time I will be a better planner. (Note to self: Don't take little boys to department stores where action figure memorabilia is sold.)

And one last thing. In case you are wondering if Matthew stood out by this lovely choice of backpack wear, not at all. I saw more of these Spider Man / Hulk / Batman backpacks than you can imagine.
10 comments:
Wow, you are great to let go when he is so young! I couldn't do it until kindergarten! even then I had anxiety attacks! I am glad everything went well. I wish we were closer, with each of us only having one boy at home again I am sure they boys would love a friend to play with!
I am glad you made it through the day. :) Thats funny he was confused about going back tomorrow... and things will get easier. It IS hard to see our kids grow up so quickly!! Sometimes I wish that I could just stop time... for a little while, so that I can enjoy each stage a little longer!
Oh, so sweet. It's fun when they're so excited to try new things and excel in them, but it is hard to let go. But you do get used to the routine and it's turns out just great. And the backpack thing is very normal - I gave up on my idea of a cool backpack and let him get what he would want too. It makes the whole experience even funner to them.
My husband grew up with Jeremy and was Katie's Elder's Qourum Pres. and introduced Jerm & Kate. We've done almost everything with these two. They gave lectures to Brad daily about not marrying me. :-)
Hey Kerri, about Bunko group:
What we do is everyone wins every month - with different priced gifts! E-mail me at
jenniburke1@yahoo.com and I'll reply back with all of the details so it's not super long on here. :)
So, are you putting him in Kindergarten next year then or are you doing two years of preschool?
We decided to hold back on Parker entering school because I think it is better to be the oldest in the class rather than a year younger than everyone else. I know Matthew is only a few days older than Parker. I think I will be sooo sad when I have to put him in school even though I know he will love it! Good job at keeping it together!
What a sweet boy. Brooklyn starts preschool on the 3rd. Three days a week! I can't believe you got him in one that is FIVE days a week! I'd be ALL over that if I had the option!! It is going to be so good for BOTH of us for her to be in school!
I can't believe how big Matthew is getting. It's hard to let them go especially when they are telling you bye before they are out of the car seat. My oldest did the same thing when he was that age, it breaks your heart. You'll do great though and so will he!!
Well done getting through it! Maryn starts in September and I really don't know how I'm going to feel when it's actually here. Thanks for the heads up!
How cute!!! That got me even more excited for when our baby comes! They grow up fast! I still can't believe you've been married for six years and have two kids!! :)
Post a Comment