We made it through our first week of school and much more. And Matthew loves his school too. He's trying so hard to listen to his teacher and make friends; it's really sweet to hear him tell me about each day. He's so excited about school.
I'm writing this post, because I feel like lately, I have been too much of a complainer. Really, I've taken so many blessings for granted in my life.
This particularly came to my attention when I took Matthew to the doctor on Thursday morning. Because we are on Medicaid until Ryan's insurance through PISD starts, it's been really difficult to find specific types of doctors. And when you do, it's hard to find places where you can trust the sanitation of the office or even the staff. I hope that's not taken the wrong way. I feel like Dallas offers so much, but being on this government program has definitely opened my eyes. Most of the time, you feel like a number and you're herded through the door with little or no consideration.
Anyway . . . for this particular doctor, we have to drive all the way to south Dallas, and I mean to like the very tip of southern Dallas--a scary place where perhaps you've seen pictures of it in movies to stress the point of poverty, crime, and stereotypes of a large city like Dallas. A place like where my brother-in-law works and calls the "gun shop" and "knife shop", because he has removed more of those things from people than he ever imagined nor had any prior knowledge of before coming to Parkland. I'm not talking about Parkland, but an area close in proximity. It is what it is, and until we have other insurance, this doctor is the only one who can treat Matthew's needs until the age of six years in the Dallas metro area.
So . . . we arrived at this clinic about an hour after leaving our house via HOV. As always, there were crowds of people waiting to see the doctor. So . . . we took the available seat(s) next to a man and a woman. Unfortunately, Matthew and David were too afraid to sit down, so they each clung to me--Matt to my left leg and David around my waist and torso. Matthew was too afraid of the man to even turn away from him and started saying random phrases to the effect of "That man is creeping me out. Will he hurt me? I want him to go away." While sitting there over the next 45-50 minutes, I had the chance to observe what some might consider a year's worth, maybe even a lifetime's worth of chaos and absolute absurdity. I saw a woman walk in with her friend and her friend's little boy. The little boy sat quietly on the woman's lap with one hand on her breast on the outside of her shirt and the other hand inside on her breast--all the while attempting to remove the shirt. The woman's friend, who was actually the biological mother, kept saying things and laughing about it. I saw a woman punch her son (I'm guessing he was close to 10 years old) hard in the chest because he was bothering her. And she put her fist back up when he talked to her again. I heard another mother abruptly shout across the room to her daughter, "Kurtasia, if you don't stop it, I'm gonna come over there and whoop you." I saw a group of guys come in, decked out in gym shorts, baggy t-shirts, basketball shoes, oversize ball caps, earrings, and ipods. It took me about 10-15 minutes to figure out which one was the father. When he went to turn in some paperwork, I caught glimpse of a wedding ring. After about 35-40 minutes of waiting, David needed a diaper change, and this office has no changing table of any sort nor would I ever consider using a table or floor anywhere. I took David and Matt out to the car and brought them back in to the bathroom so that I could wash my hands. I decided it was probably a good idea to have Matthew and myself use the actual bathroom since it would be such a long time before we arrived home. I guided the boys back to the open-doored handicap stall. Come to find out, there was a woman in there, irritated that we walked in. I quickly apologized and tried to figure out why the door was not shut. At any rate, there was no toilet paper in any of the other stalls and I worried about catching something anyway . . . we quickly exited back to the ever-inviting waiting area. Upon our re-entrance there was a little boy attempting to smash the glass of the vending machine because he "wanted to steal some candy".
Gosh, reading over this sounds like more complaining, but I guess without walking you through this visually, it's hard to understand my feelings of gratitude.
I called my husband and my mom up and quickly replayed some of the things in my mind. Did those things really happen? How could they? Is the insurance company really sending me to the ONLY possible office in the entire Dallas area?? I laughed. Because if I didn't I was going to cry.
I realized how grateful I am for a mother, who never beat me or hurt me in any way. Whenever she was upset with me, she let me know and talked to me about it, and one time, I was swatted with a brush because that's what was in her hands, but NEVER was I mistreated. Both of my parents had their beliefs and ideals at the forefront of their minds when raising me. I never questioned their role as parents and mine as a child. They instilled values and morals in me that will stay with me always. After being in this place, I realized how blessed my family has been. We have the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We have so much knowledge. We know about human decency. We have so many temporal blessings. And I realized how I want to treat my children. Never do I want to be cruel or unkind. Never do I want my child to fear me or think that I'm competing with them. And last, my situation can always be worse. Ryan has a stable job that meets our needs and then some. We are free. We get to worship how we want. This coming November, we get to voice our opinion in a big way. I have two wonderful children, whom I care about so deeply. I have a happy, healthy marriage, and I have such deep love for my amazing husband that grows day-by-day. I have knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father. I have faith in His Son, Jesus Christ, who has redeemed me and everyone who will ever walk this earth. I feel overwhelmed by my blessings.
I know this is such a novel, but it's really been so strongly on my mind.
And p.s. any of you in Logan who go to Treehouse or run into Bruce O'Very or Russell McKenna, please send my regards. I hate to admit it, but I didn't know what I had.
12 comments:
In case you are wondering which Nancy this is--I am Nancy Beesley from the Logan 5th ward. I found your blog through Maria Jenkin's blog I believe. I just wanted to say that your blog is so inspiring. I looked up to and admired you in Logan and can see that you haven't changed. You are such a spiritual giant. I have to admit, I like some of the quotes on your blog so much that I stole them and put them on mine.
Ironically, I just went to the doctor for my baby's 12 month check-up. I am ashamed after hearing your story that I would be upset over a 30 minute wait--which has happened in times past, but didn't even occur today. I was shooed right in after a minimal wait--all of which was pleasant thanks to the TV and the giant fish tank in the waiting room. I won't ramble on any more. So good to hear about you and your family again.
That's crazy! A couple of months ago I was looking at pictures on the internet & saw an LDS church in Detroit that was surrounded by security gates & barbed wire. It blew me away. It immediately made me so grateful for the safety that my family has & the good areas that we've lived in. I makes me so sad to think that others are not as fortunate. I hope that you are adjusting well to your new place. Good luck!
Wow, what an experience. I have had many moments like that in my life, they alwasy make you grateful for what you have. I too am grateful for my loving parents, we had book club and somehow got on the topic of discipline. One mom said, when my kids mouth off they get their face slapped! Maybe it's just me but I was so shocked. I have spanked a few times in my life, but it isn't my first response. I have decided that kids are always learning and they will continue to make the same mistakes no matter what we do to correct the behavior. We have to do it to teach them right and wrong, but when we hit it is always out of anger. But a slap in the face I was just so shocked it just seems horrible to me. What are your thoughts. I am sorry about the crazy, scary adventure. Hope things get better and you find a better doctor soon!
(((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))
I so know your pain. The kids are on CHIP until Ritchie's insurance kicks in, and luckily the pediatrician that we were seeing before takes CHIP so we didn't have to switch Dr.s but even when checking in at the Dr. and they see we are on CHIP...they treat me differently. Like a number, just like you said. It makes me sooooo angry. I try to not let it bug me because we are doing the best we can, but really...it just ticks me off!
How I love my wife. I would take more part in our blog, but she does such a good job and probably because all of my coaching buddies would make fun of me for it. Just kidding. I love you hon. Keep up the good work.
What the experience! Sheesh! Both of my kids are on medicaid as well, and I guess being in Logan we are just spoiled! I have never felt like just a number... we have not only a lot of doctors to choose from here, but a lot of GOOD doctors!! That is something I have never really thought much about!! I take Carrie in on Friday actually, so I will remember to be thankful for the nice facility, nurses and doctors there.
Holy smokes. What a nightmare. I know what you mean, though. I always forget about those basic blessings (good parents, education, community, etc.) that ultimately make all the difference. Your boys are lucky to have sweet, loving folks like you guys.
You always write such insightful posts. I'm sorry you have had a bad experience on Medicaid. I'm wondering if there is a better doctor you could see and they are just giving you the run around. When we were on Medicaid Lily had some of the best doctors and surgeons in the country attending her. We still see them now that we have insurance. We were seen at one of the best pedatricians office in all of Denver with Medicaid. We just had to switch only because Lily's doctor went over to Kaiser. Anyway, we were never treated like a number, in fact I couldn't believe how great the care was. I wonder if it's just different in CO. I am so sorry that you have had a bad experience with it. I would keep trying to find a good doctor. I hope that gives you some kind of hope!!!! We miss you guys!!! I need your address so I can send you your book. Sorry I didn't get it to you before you left.
Sorry it's been awhile since I've visited your blog! It's been a crazy busy summer full of the outdoors, which doesn't leave a lot of time for indoor computering! I always enjoy reading your blog, and a whiner? I doubt that! I must be a real big complainer then! I know what you mean though, sometimes I don't feel like we are a "paciliear (I can't spell) people, because I am surrounded by people just like mem but then when I go out of state, country, or even the airport, (heck even Lagoon) that's when I realize how different we really are!
P.S. It's maria not max!
Hey Keri!! Just wanted to let you know I finally updated my blog and posted some pictures of our place. We're excited for you and the boys to come visit in a few weeks! Hope you're all doing well.
Thanks for your posts, Keri. You always help me to remember to be positive and to count my blessings! I'll always look up to you! I hope your insurance comes through soon to make your life easier and more pleasant!
Post a Comment