Sunday, August 23, 2009

Finally--Some House Pics

Okay, so here are some pics of the house--however, you need to keep in mind, we are not finished unpacking/tidying--obviously. And I probably should have put these all in a slide show. I apologize for the length of this post. Blinds should be installed in less than two week's time--YEA for privacy!!! And then sod is coming this Saturday, while the boys and I are in Plano. I guess it wouldn't really matter too much if we were here, because I can't lift any of it. Tonight, upon Ryan's return from football practice and school, he will put the water sealant on our fence. Things are getting done; it just takes some time.

We love the house! The boys especially love the space and the fact that there are no stairs and we can go for walks much more easily. Whenever we go somewhere David says, "I wanna go back to my new house."

Matthew will start school tomorrow, just one day late. Apparently all paperwork and ARD meetings must be filled out and completed prior to enrollment--no exceptions. So . . . we can handle one day late. That's pretty great! He'll be attending Morton Ranch Elementary, as King was already full for his program--unless we were willing to put him in all Spanish or Chinese classes. We've debated (since Matthew is entirely fluent in Mandarin and Catalan). Matthew's been really concerned about leaving Mrs. Taylor and Delaney behind, but we're confident that he will make some new friends and . . . probably within a month he will find a new little girl that he loves or that cuts out paper hearts for him. Both boys talk about friends from our last ward too. It's kind of sad.

Two days ago, David told me, "Mom, I'm dough decial." I couldn't figure it out and then, he said it again, and it dawned on me. "Mom, I'm so special." Yes, you are Davey.

While unpacking, we located some of our children's Old Testament stories on VHS. It was amazing to hear Matthew rattle off some things he already knew about the stories and hear him relate different parts of the Plan of Salvation. When you think they're not listening, watch out!

We are learning quickly that old habits continue with our boys. For example, a lock is now placed securely on our fridge, as David gets in when it's opened and proceeds to egg our fridge. And then Matthew informs me of his choices. We are working on better parenting.

I've realized how much the boys need their dad. Someone in a news commentary the other day said this, "Some people claim they need that relationship with their dad in their lives. I'm not that person. I don't need that relationship." I've pondered this. Our boys, even though they have struggled so much with all of the uproar and chaos of the move and Matthew's surgery in their lives, their happiest times have been when their dad was present. I've noticed that when they wake up and he's still at home in the morning or when he gets to stay home like Saturday night and Sunday, the days are much happier. They're so excited to see him. They discuss where he is and why he's gone when he's not here. "Dabid, Daddy has to go to work to earn monies for our famwe." At night when he's here, they demand a song that only he sings. They love him through and through.

As I've spent a lot of time alone this week, I've contemplated the Savior's atonement for me. I know that He suffered in Gethsemane for me and that I can always repent and come unto Him. I know that I can become clean through His blood. This has been on my mind a great deal.

Prayer has occupied my thoughts. How important it is that we pray together as a family. "A family that prays together, stays together." And how important it is that we focus and direct our prayers very specifically to each situation in our lives. He stands ready to bless us.

Yesterday, we attended stake conference, our first Sunday meeting here. The meeting focused on missionary work, which was fabulous. I felt the spirit so strong, but what got me the most was the closing hymn. We sang, "I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go". I typically think of this song in the context of missionary work; however, as we sang, I choked up (imagine) and all I could think about was Houston. I'm still amazed that we are here. I never imagined in a million years I would be living here or even in Texas. Yet, I know this is where He would have me be. We have been directed here. For what reason, I have no idea, but I know this is where He wants us, and I will follow.






































































13 comments:

Katie Jane said...

YAY!! So very very cute. I am so excited for you!

Lindsay said...

What a cute house! Lot's of potential to make it your own. The boys look happy. Hope your feeling well.

Kellie Huffman said...

Congrats Keri!!! What a cute house. Your boys are so adorable!!!

Jenni S said...

Beautiful!!! So much fun!!!

Ellis said...

It looks like a really nice place! And we have the same bed! And look at your food storage - you go girl!

jason and michelle clarke said...

That's neat. Looks like a nice house, I bet you are just loving having your own home now!!!

Christina said...

I love it!!! Hooray for a NEW HOUSE!!! That is so great! I am so excited for you and your family! :) I will have to agree...you put me to SHAME with your food storage...ugh...

Seantae Jackson said...

What a great place. I love the look of the outside of it!

Kristen said...

Congrats on the new house! Maybe someday we'll have a home of our own too! I hope that things settle down for you soon. Best of luck with all of the unpacking.

Anonymous said...

Keri, the house is amazing!!!!!! It is beautiful and I love your furniture! That is very, very exciting!!!!

Next step: a trip to New Zealand to visit us!!

xoxox

Julie said...

SO CUTE!!!! I love it!! I can't wait till we can finally find the right home and start the process!!! :) Good Luck with it all!

Emily Anne said...

Looks like a great place! Hope you're getting all settled. Hope Matthew's arm is healing well, too.

Miss you guys!

Tracy Giles said...

I LOVE YOUR HOUSE!!!!! It's so cute! Congratulations! Good luck getting everything put away and getting settled in. It's so fun setting up house!