Saturday, August 8, 2009

Rough Night, But Still Feeling Blessed

Trials help us grow. Yes.

As we've been blessed over the past month so much, trials have still been overcome.

I didn't get any before pics of the "moluscum contagiosm" on David's skin, but they basically looked like little worts all over his body--but hundreds.

So . . . he couldn't be around kids for a while, and we took him to the dermatologist to have them burned with acid. It didn't hurt at first, but as you can see from the pics below, it became quite unpleasant. I about freaked out when he woke up the next morning with blisters everywhere! And "woke up" is perhaps the wrong phrase, because he didn't sleep much that night. Anyway . . .

This is what was left over. But it's slowly dissipating and will soon be seen only in special lighting.

Through that trial though, as I said, we felt blessed. The doctor who worked with David was fantastic--even that I would have loved for him to be our pediatrician. He was so GREAT with the boys! This was a huge answer to prayer, as I felt deeply concerned with a dermatologist treating him, who typically doesn't treat children. Ryan was able to come with me--another great blessing! And we have amazing friends in our ward here.
We had been invited to a pajama pizza party, and when we were unable to attend due to the yucky condition of David's skin, they brought the party to us--pizza, treats, cars, a movie, and cool "Sponge Bob" band aids. They even gave them these CUTE jammies. Other friends have reached out as well. We have felt so blessed! And our burdens have been lightened.
And since Ryan has left for Houston, we have had so much help. Several of the women in the ward have come to help me pack. Others have kept our kids, so that I could get more packing done. Again--so BLESSED!
A couple of days ago, our car started overheating. Ryan wasn't here to check it out, Ryan's dad is out of town, and my dad was also unreachable--as he was on a 50-miler. We started asking friends about their diagnostic skills. The same pajama friend's husband came over, and he looked at our van. He spent 45 minutes to an hour of his time with travel and all to help us out.
When we discovered it was still leaking the next morning, we called another friend to get her mechanic--as we knew this required more than just fluids. The guy came to our apartment and because we're friends with this sister in our ward (who is best friends with his wife) he is going to fix our car for half of what the mechanics in town charge (I called and was shocked by how inexpensive he was in comparison and how expensive the others were.). Although, it's a burden to have to deal with this car issue right now, as we are moving, we feel so blessed that the Holy Ghost revealed to us who we needed to call. Again, Heavenly Father has answered our prayers.
Those of you who have prayed for my mom--we appreciate this so much. Thank you. The medicine seems to be working thus far. Her heart has lowered and she's at a lower risk level. So . . . she may not have to have the procedure the doctors were considering. What a miracle!
And so . . . back to last night.

Matthew and David refused to go to sleep. They began jumping and laughing on Matthew's bed. I went in and talked to them, spanked David, threatened privileges--NOTHING worked.

A few minutes after 7 p.m., another wonderful friend dropped off her car to let us borrow while ours is broken down. Did I mentioned we feel blessed? A few minutes later changed the rest of the night. Matthew came crying hysterically, saying that he hurt himself.

My words: "Matthew, I don't care what happened. I have NO sympathy. You guys have been ignoring me and everything I have asked you to do. You need to go get in bed."
A few minutes later, he was still freaking out. I could tell the cry was different. I went in and asked him to show me his "owie". He showed me his arm and really started wailing when I touched it. I asked what happened and he explained they were jumping off the bed and he landed on David. I considered the possibilities, but knew I wouldn't have peace until I had his arm checked out. Something (a.k.a. the Holy Ghost) urged me to take him in.

I called yet another friend to see if she could keep David while I took Matthew to the hospital for x-rays. She met me outside of her house and took David and gave me a hug.

On the way to the hospital, it occurred to me to use the Acute Kids Care, as they may have an x-ray machine, and it would cost half the price. We arrived with no waiting line. As soon as they saw the arm, they said they could immediately tell it was broken.

Feeling like a million bucks for all of my previous mentioned comments, I struggled being there. It was so difficult to see my precious Matthew be in so much pain. I felt grateful that again I had promptings to come to this place, rather than the hospital. They were so quick and personable with Matthew. After the x-ray, he said, "Mommy, I just really don't want them to cut my arm off." It broke my heart to realize how scared he was. After the codeine kicked in, he was feeling much better and they gave him a popsicle--how can you go wrong there?!

The next obstacle came after the x-ray. The doctor confirmed the fracture above his left elbow, but her concern was that with a break on/so near the growth plate, he may need surgery. So . . . we waited while the radiologist at the hospital decided if we needed to head over for surgery. About 10 minutes later and many uttered prayers, she confirmed that he had a clean break, not in need of surgery. What a blessing!

So now we will call on Monday to schedule with the orthopedist. This appointment will reconfirm that his arm does not require surgery. From there, they will put a permanent cast on.

Until then, Mr. Matthew sports a mustard yellow splint--much like a cast.
And a side note about Matthew on codeine. He let me know last night that it was very important for him to wear his 3-D glasses to bed because he might get sun burned.

Last night proved to be very difficult. We were up most of the night, minus a few hours. Exhausted--absolutely! But . . . again I feel blessed. I called our home teacher, and he an another brother came and administered a blessing through the Priesthood to our sweet Matthew. The words of the blessing touched my heart, but even before that, it occurred to me how much I take the Priesthood for granted. That gift allows righteous men to act in the name of God. To heal, as our Savior healed when He was here. And they used it to bless and heal my Matthew's arm. I can already tell a difference in his countenance and his comfort level. Words feel inadequate.

11 comments:

Sara B said...

Wow! You are in our prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you. We pray your trials will soon ease up and give you break while you move and prepare for the baby's coming.

sara and family

Ben, Starlene, Aiden, Brynlee, and Kynzee said...

Wow when it rains it pours. We will pray for you all. love you

Aubrey said...

I am so sorry about Matthew! It is so hard to see your kids get hurt like that. I really hope he heals quickly, and David, too. Good luck with your upcoming move. I wish I could be there to help you!

Natalie said...

Wow, what a post...what a night! I am so sorry to hear about your two sweet boys. I hope things get better and all cleared up soon. What beautiful blessings you've had, though, and what an optimistic attitude you have to see those blessings. Good luck.

Ellis said...

Keri - what an example of faith you are! You have had one thing after another and yet you still have such faith and endurance. I am so glad that you have a good ward family that is taking care of you. I wish we were closer so we could help out too! I hope that you can feel the power of all the prayers that I know are being said for you!

Buck & Ashley Higgs said...

I totally laughed when I read the part about Matthew saying he didn't want his arm to get cut off because apparently when I was little and cracked my chin open for the 4th time I just told the doctor I just needed a band-aid and I would be okay. No stitches were necessary! So funny how kids think! Glad things are okay! =)

Kylie C. said...

Keri! If there is anything you need, let me know. I would be more than happy to watche your boys one night or come help you pack!

Kristen said...

WOW! You have really had quite the time with everything. You never cease to amaze me, though, with your positive attitude and faith. You are amazing! By the way, I can totally relate with you telling Matthew that you have no sympathy for not listening - I've been there, done that, said that to my boys as well. Hope things look up for you soon!

Jill Skouson said...

I am always so impressed with the way you use your blog to testify the gospel. I'm so sorry you've had such a rough go of it lately.

Seantae Jackson said...

It doesn't just pour, it hails at your house! You are an amazing example to all to look at the bright side of things. You will all be in our prayers, and it does not surprise me that your "karma" has blessed you with so many people helping you.

April said...

wow. your first cast. I haven't experienced this yet with any of my three boys, but I'm sure I will. I am glad that Matthew will be ok.
David's addition to his skin looks so un-fun. I am glad thing are on the up and up there.
p.s. congrats on the house that is great! and when are you visiting colorado again? I have missed seeing you the last few visits. we need to go out to lunch or something without all our boys! :)