Sunday, September 13, 2009

Matthewisms

Matthew & I were driving home from running errands the other day when this conversation occurred:

Me: (Having just read another explanation of benefits for his arm surgery and various x-rays) "Wow, Matt. Between the charges from the doctor and the hospital, your arm is costing what a brand new little car would cost. (Of course, we will only pay a portion.)"

Matthew: "Okay. I'll wait at home."

Me: "What are you talking about?"

Matthew: "I'll wait at home while you go pick up our new car."

Me: "I love you, Matthew."


While sitting at the dinner table (Ryan happened to come home a little early this particular evening.).

Matthew: "Mom, are you going to go running?"

Me: "Uh, no."

Matthew: "Why not?!"

Me: "Well . . . I'm pregnant, Matthew. I can't run when I'm pregnant. Some mommies can, but I can't. When I was pregnant with you I ran and I hurt my body really bad. I ended up being on bed rest. When I was pregnant with Davey, I tried again, and the same thing. I'll run once the baby is born."

Matthew: "Did you hurt yourself from running when Daddy was inside your tummy too?"

Me: (Looking at Ryan while Ryan is turning his head to laugh) "Um, Matthew, I'm not Daddy's mom. Grandma Allred is his mommy and he was in her tummy."

Matthew: (Very seriously) "Ohhh."

Glad we cleared that one up!


Friday night, we attended Ryan's team's football game. This is sort of one of those experiences where looking back, you ask yourself, "What was I thinking?!"

I allowed the boys to pick out one treat and one bag of chips/Cheetos before the game and I took a bottle of water. We arrived shortly after the game began and managed to find a seat at the top of the bleachers with two empty rows in front of us and three behind. This is CRUCIAL in order to insure that no patrons get kicked or nudged throughout the game by little feet unable to sit still. It also allows the boys some freedom to walk and play without bothering anyone.

Around half time, they'd eaten the cheetos and half of their treats. And they were actually really well behaved. But then the music began for the half-time shows and it's as if the sugar kicked in. Matthew started and couldn't seem to stop jumping. David attempted to run laps before I stopped him. Both boys began dancing. At one point, Matthew had one hand on his head, the other holding his foot, moving in circles--doing a Carlton of sorts. And he almost fell while doing it. I told him he had to stop because I was afraid he was going to fall down the bleachers, but I had to work so hard to hold it together and keep myself from cackling. It was so HILARIOUS! The boys did various booty shakes with bums in the air while holding on to the bleachers. And the energy escalated from there!

We left the game toward the end of the first overtime, and luckily we did. We made it home by 11:20 or 11:30 p.m. Ryan called to tell me they'd one in the 5th overtime! CRAZINESS!

Anyway, I'm glad we got out of the house and supported Ryan, but I will highly consider what we bring next time and how late we stay. (Saturday came and David, regardless of his lack of sleep, woke up pretty early and was ready to go, go, go.)

6 comments:

Jenni S said...

Those are all so funny! I just love hearing what's in their little heads. And I would have loved to see them letting it all loose during the half time show. FUNNY!

Kristen said...

Ker-I love it! You are one amazing mom! As far as the dancing and the Carleton moves, I do remember Ryan shaking his groove thing in college and I think Kellie captured it on video. I think your boys are taking after their dad. Thanks for making me smile!

Rachel Seren said...

Props to you for tackling the game all by yourself! We would love to come visit, we need to plan a time to get together!

Lindsay said...

Phew! Glad you cleared up Ryan's parentage!

Was he able to see your boy's antics up in the bleachers or was he too focused on the game? Seems like the bleachers were where the action was, despite multiple overtimes.

Aubrey said...

Matthew is so funny! Malia was telling me yesterday that when she got married, she would have Tyler in her tummy. How do kids come up with these things?

janine said...

too cute!!!