This post may seem a bit scattered--that's because it is.
We've now been here in Katy for almost 5 weeks (I think), and I feel more at home. A group of girls from the ward has taken me in and it's nice to have friends. It's a good feeling to be invited to playgroups or girl's nights or to be called to be checked on. I still feel a little like an outsider. I guess I'm too self-conscious and often worry about people not understanding me due to limited time since we've met. So . . . after I say something and a questioning look is given, I decide maybe I better not say anything. I'm slowly getting over this.
I've been thinking a lot about how I can strengthen my family. The Holy Ghost has witnessed to me how important it is that I support my spouse in all that he does. This relationship, above all otherly earthly relationships, is most important and vital to my success as a mother and a daughter of God. If I can teach my children that I put Heavenly Father first, and then, my spouse, they will see that example and our home can have a more solid foundation and prepare them for their future marriages.
While teaching the mia-maids in our last ward, I gave a lesson on supporting priesthood leaders. One specific story stands out to me. When President Benson was a general authority, he was asked to speak in general conference in the Tabernacle. A friend attended the conference with the family. She noted that when President McKay announced him as the next speaker that one by one his children passed this message down the row: "Pray for dad." At the end of the row, the message came to Sister Benson--her head already bowed. I've thought about this story since then and applied it in our home. Many times in the middle of the day, I will get the prompting that we need to kneel down and offer a prayer on Ryan's behalf. Matthew will say, "But Mom we already said family prayer." I hope this will teach him that we seek to follow the spirit, even if He directs us to do something not in our regular routine. But I also hope that it will teach my children how important it is to support our Priesthood leaders and how important it is that we support our spouses.
The other thing that's been on my mind has been that of sacrifice. The Sunday school lessons over the past year have been on the pioneers and the Doctrine and Covenants--as have the relief society/priesthood lessons with the Joseph Smith manual. One of the overall themes to me of Joseph Smith's life and the pioneers is that of sacrifice.
"Sacrifice is the crowning test of the gospel. Men are tried and tested in this mortal probation to see if they will put first in their lives the things of the kingdom of God . . .
"Joseph Smith taught the law of sacrifice in these words: . . .
"'A religion that does not require the sacrifice of all things never has power sufficient to produce the faith necessary [to lead] unto life and salvation; for, from the first existence of man, the faith necessary unto the enjoyment of life and salvation never could be obtained with the sacrifice of all earthly things. It was through this sacrifice, and this only, that God has ordained that men should enjoy eternal life.'" (Bruce R. McKonkie, Mormon Doctrine, 2nd ed. (1966), 663.)
This past Monday night, we talked about what we could give up as a family to become closer and feel the spirit stronger in our home. When our family home evening was over, it was decided that we would go one day this week without any television or DVDs. You would think this would be a simple task since we have had television for less than a six-month period over the past 7 years of marriage. Well, it proved to be difficult at first. The kids kept trying to turn it on, but as the day went on, we had so much fun playing and reading and laughing. Ryan and I played a game and visited for quite some time once we put the kids down. It was a great day! We're going to do this more often.
Anyway, again . . . random ramblings . . . until next time.
2 comments:
Keri, I love you! You always have such a great way of expressing yourself and more often than not, it's just what I need to hear! Thank you for sharing. I completely understand about the making friends thing. It is so much harder to do once you are married with kids. And especially if you keep moving. I can relate so well to you. Have a great week!
Ramble on . . . I enjoy hearing your thoughts. They are meaningful and heartfelt. If only we lived closer together . . . I would love to hang out with you!
Post a Comment