Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Oh, Man!

Upon our enterring HEB grocery store yesterday, I grabbed a shopping basket and Matthew accepted the pretty blue balloon from the associate handing them out. He further inquired, "Can I have one for my brother?"
My thoughts: "Very sweet; however, I now have to navigate through this newly discovered and unfamiliar store with an even more energetic little 4, almost 5-year old boy."
So . . . we begin walking and Matthew's smacking people in the head and face with these dang balloons.
More thoughts: "Maybe he'll accidentally let go and the balloons will float away. . . . Wait a minute. Are those weights on the ends of the balloon strings?!"
Fifteen minutes later, after grabbing literally the last bag of white flour hamburger buns, some apples, and a loaf of bread, we make it through the check-out line with minimal casualties (He hit one worker one time and then, he hit the lady in front of us repeatedly with those balloons--not to mention all of the people who stood in or near our path along the aisles.).
We begin our walk to the van in the 100+ degree weather (or so it felt) and Matthew is lagging.
Me: "Lets hurry it up, Matt. We still have another errand to run."
Matthew: "Mom, I just want to walk on the grass."
Me: Sigh. "Fine."
All of a sudden, I hear this really loud pop. I look to see him jump just slightly. My thoughts are turned to my mom. I'm looking for her horrified reaction, as she is deathly, DEATHLY afraid of balloons. Oh yeah, she's not here. I return to myself and look at Matthew. I'm waiting for him to start crying over what has happened and a demand to return to the store.
Matthew: "Oh, Man! Now David doesn't get a balloon. Bummer!"
I have to keep myself from cackling right there in the parking lot. Too much.

7 comments:

Ben, Starlene, Aiden, Brynlee, and Kynzee said...

That is really funny. I totally laughed out loud. I read the story to Aiden and he said that Matthew was a nice brother and that he was silly.

Jenni S said...

Hahaha, it's a good thing he got David one in the first place so he would still have one at least huh? That is so funny!

Lindsay said...

At least he was looking out for his brother's interests (at first). Amazing the balloon survived through the bashing in the store! Such a cutie.

DLonna said...

Oh, how I miss my Matthew!!!

Natalie said...

That is too good! What a character he is!

AdAmy said...

Too funny!! Thanks for posting house pics. Such a charming home! It's good to see that you are doing well. Are you going to find out your baby's gender? If so, it should be coming right up, correct? Can't wait.

Kristen said...

This story definitely made me laugh. Gotta love little boys! Hope you have a great week!