Sunday, April 4, 2010

Peace

I feel grateful for having the opportunity to celebrate Easter today and listen to general conference. I definitely take this blessing for granted: to hear a prophet of God speak. I was so touched by the various messages.

Mostly, I walked away with renewed hope, a desire to do better, and a peace and serenity I wish to permeate the walls of my home always. Conference contained many recurring themes: eliminate distractions, teach your children, parenting, qualifying for the Spirit, keeping the commandments, being a rescuer and rescuing others, the Resurrection, studying scriptures, and more.

For me, I felt like everything seemed completely applicable. There is not time to waste on unimportant and trifle matters. I need to focus on the most important things in my life: my family, teaching my children righteous patterns, and cultivating a home where the Spirit may abide. I need to get back to the basics of studying the scriptures more diligently for longer periods of time each day, both pondering and reflecting. My prayers can be more fervent and heartfelt. If I focus on these things, I know that many of my problems and trials will be lighter.

I love the Lord. I feel so blessed to know Him and I want to know Him better. I'm humbled when I think about His eternal atonement for me. It makes me want to be better and always choose the right. I know, however, that I will fall short. That is why I need Him. His atonement makes it possible for me to become clean again by repenting and striving to do better. I know that He overcame sin, sickness, suffering, and pain while in Gethsemane. And I know that He overcame death on Calvary. He lives! What comfort and peace He brings to those who have lost loved ones. As we come unto Him, He will lift us up as on eagle's wings.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

What a beautiful post! I, too, walked away from conference feeling the need for improvement and knowing that I am not alone in this quest. The Lord will help us.

Anonymous said...

This conference was one of my all time favorites!!! I was touched so much by the sweet spirit of peace and hope, such a contrast from everything else on TV. It made me feel so proud to be a mom!