Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Strong-Willed Child

Yesterday, as we finished paying at the self-check out line, the automated computer said in a monotonous voice, "Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart." Very casually and not even trying to be funny, David replied, "You're welcome." I left the store with a smile and I continued to wear it the rest of the day.

David would randomly come to me and tell me, "Mother, I love you." Something about hearing such a tender expression from such a rough and tough little boy really melted my heart.

Now fast forward to today, and I feel completely exhausted and numb after this same little boy's actions. For family home evening last night, we discussed our choices and specifically, we talked about the parable Jesus taught in the scriptures in the book of Matthew about the wise men and the foolish men. I have sung that song over and over for Davey all day long. We have constantly talked about making wise versus foolish decisions. Yet, he still felt the need to lather our carpet and changing table with sun block, oatmeal my counter, throw Matthew's soccer ball on the car before soccer, and poke a bazillion holes in his dresser with a screw driver (which I'm still scratching my head as to where he found that and the sunblock) while I was cleaning up said lotion.

And then once more, I find the circle complete. Tonight during family prayers and scriptures, David sucked his chubby thumb and held his blanket with that same hand, so that the blanket was right next to his thumb and stroking his face. His big blue eyes looked deeply into mine and he searched for a smile and love from me. "Mother, can you hug me and kiss me 'good night?'" How could I refuse that? I love this little boy to pieces. He tugs at my heart strings, and maybe that's why these types of days take me by attack so much. It's when I least expect them and just as he forgives my faults, I have to forgive his and let go and not hold grudges or take offense. I have to remind myself that he's only 3 years old. Though he's hard on things and sometimes a really difficult child, he's a really sweet child. He has the capacity to love so richly and deeply. He is a child of God. He is good. He has a desire to do good. He is a nurturer and he desires to be nurtured. Above all, he wants to know that his mother loves him and wants him and accepts him.

I guess on days like these I need to pay extra close attention to him and give him that much more love.

4 comments:

Seantae Jackson said...

I'm sorry I'm so behind on your blog. I just have to tell you that the beauty you find in life is amazing. That you take time to notice what your kids (and hubby) need, are amazing. Keep it up!

Jill said...

That was a beautiful entry...thanks for letting me peek at it. Gave me a little piece of Heaven and perspective to start my day with. He sure is a neat kid--lucky to be partnered in life with such an amazing mom too!

Lindsay said...

Grow eyes in the back of your head. It's really helpful. =) Does he still wink at you? That always killed me and he could get anything out of me when he did that.

Britney Anglesey said...

Oh Keri! Thank you so much for this post! I think you wrote it just for Ellie and me! :o)