This week has proven to be lots of fun in many ways, but it's been very burdensome. We arrived in Plano on Thursday afternoon to celebrate the holiday with our family here. Friday morning found my sister-in-law, Jessica, and I running about on the town in search of free movie tickets via GM cereal boxes, as well as some odds and ends for Christmas dinner.
Upon completion of those errands, we began our descent home. Less than one mile from my in-laws' home, a lady pulled out in front of me on Custer road. I swerved to try to avoid hitting her right on and then, tried to slam on the brakes, but it all happened too fast. The collision with her car sent our van into the third lane and sent her the other way into the first lane.
At that moment, the tears simply came. I couldn't believe that would happen on Christmas Eve of all days.
The firemen asked me if we wanted to go to the hospital. Through my tears, I told him, "Um, no. I don't want to go to the hospital. I have three little boys waiting for me at home." But I could feel pain shooting up my head, down my neck, into my upper back and shoulder. When we made contact, I was wearing my seatbelt, as was my sister; however, even hitting at just 40 miles per hour brought some wicked whip lash. I hit the steering wheel with the left side of my body and then, hit the back of the seat really hard. My sister-in-law, whose side was hit, was truly blessed, because her legs and everything were fine. She hit the seat really hard, though. The lady in the other car was fine, except she felt really shaken up.
In the end, we decided it was best to get checked out at the hospital. Thankfully, they were pretty fast. We rode in the ambulance and were treated immediately. A cat scan and chest x-ray confirmed there was no damage for either of us.
We made it home in time to leave to the cousins' for some Christmas Eve fun of gingerbread houses, treats, and crafts.
Christmas Day brought some different excitement.
I received a text message around late morning from the neighbor watching our house that stated, "Merry Christmas! Are you guys home?"
I replied, "No. We're still here in Plano. We'll be back on this day."
Neighbor: "Really, because we saw two women go into your house last night and then, again today."
Me: "Excuse me. What do you mean?"
She proceeded to tell me that her son plugged in our lights on Christmas Eve before they took off for their festivities. After he walked across to their house, he said a GMC mini-suv pulled up and two women walked out. One carried a tray. He said that he didn't say anything, because he figured it was family and we were back.
Then, when they came home that night, the lights were shut off already, so he figured we unplugged them ourselves.
Christmas morning, new lights were turned on, and those same two women came back. This time, both boys saw the car.
FREAK OUT!!! Ryan and I asked them to walk the perimeter, checking every door and window. From their observations, there was no apparent break-in. Then, Ryan called one of our friends, who rounded up another friend, to go check our home. They confirmed what our neighbors said that there were no signs of forced entry.
However, by evening, we still felt pretty unsettled. Everyone suggested that we wait until the car showed up again before calling the police, so that we could get a license plate number. After lots of thought and prayer, though, Ryan felt like he should drive back to Houston to check on our property.
My brother-in-law, Wayne, and Ryan decided to make the drive back. A sheriff met them and went in first. Nothing was out of place, and everything appeared to be fine.
Now we find ourselves in the predicament of what security measures to take. Did the kids accidently mistake our neighbors' house for ours. Did two women really go into our house twice?
At any rate, I feel really blessed. First, I know that the car accident could have been much worse. We were okay, though. Second, if there were intruders in our home, we were not there when they entered. Although, I still feel a bit unsettled over the situation, I feel better about where it lies. And third, Matthew's tonsils will never have to be removed again--this has been a TERRIBLE recovery for him.
Anyway, here's to a new year with a much less exciting and uneventful calendar! (BTW, pics to follow of car accident.)
The end.
9 comments:
Hi Keri, sorry to hear about your crazy weekend. I've never heard about such an eventful X-mas before. I really hope you will have a much less stressful new year! We are thinking about you guys and we wish you the best. I hope Matthew feels better soon :(
Are you guys changing the door locks, just in case?!
Have a great week!
You poor dear! I can't believe that. I am glad all is safe now that you are back at home! You are a toughie!
Bless you Keri. It seems the trials are one after the next for you guys. The Lord must know how strong you are though. Love and miss you.
I'm so sorry Keri! That is awful. Every time Dave and I see an accident around Christmas one of us comments about how awful it would be to have that happen this time of year. I'm glad you are okay and that your house seems to be okay. Take care of yourself!
WOW!!! I am so glad you are okay!!! And what a crazy story about your house! Hope everything continues to work out! :)
YIKES!!!! That would freak me out to think someone might have been coming and going. Sorry about the car accident. I'm so glad you are doing ok though.
Oh bless your heart. So sorry to hear of your bad luck! So glad everyone is ok!!
So sorry about your scary Christmas Eve. You guys handle things so well--I'm always impressed with your attitude when you are going through hard things.
https://www.cekaja.com/info/bahaya-tangki-bensin-mobil-kosong
Post a Comment