Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Miracles

One of the greatest things about the Book of Mormon is the power that really does come into your life when you read it. You see the promises fulfilled, outlined all throughout the marvelous book. One of the promises I have been thinking about today is Ether 12:27.

"And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them."

This is amazing to me. I have tested this promise so many times throughout my life and I am testing it again. I challenge you to find something you are struggling with and to take it to the Lord. He really will turn it around.

And I guess that leads me to what I really want to post about: miracles. This promise is such a blessing and complete miracle--that Christ and Heavenly Father could change our hearts.

Something that I am really trying hard to be better at is positivity and optimism. And so . . . I want to list the miracles I have witnessed today.

1) The rain. There is something so calming about a steady Texas rain. The heavens turn black and everything looks bleak, but then it's calm and peaceful as the rain falls. It leaves everything washed and refreshed.

2) Rainbows. We saw a rainbow today. I had the chance to bear my testimony to Matthew while we were in the car about Heavenly Father's love and miracles.

3) Pumpkins. How do these marvelous vegetables/fruits (which are they?) know to grow from a tiny seed into these bright or deep, rich orange colors? They're beautiful, and we drive by a cute little pumpkin patch each day.

4) Bread. I am back to making homemade bread for my family, and I love it! I love the yummy smells and the taste--HEAVENLY!!! But when you think about how bread mixes, kneads, rises, kneads, rises, kneads, and then bakes, it's pretty amazing! Plus, to think about what it does for your body. Complete miracle.

5) My children. I took Matthew to swimming lessons tonight, and had the chance to watch him with his little class. I was in complete awe, as he listened and followed the instructions of the teacher. He was so eager and excited and kept a grin the entire time. Throughout the day, we had little moments where he would tell me a joke or laugh or be silly, and I just feel like he's my little miracle everyday. He had to fight so hard to get here to Earth and everything about his life is miraculous! David, I feel just the same way about. He told me when I went to young women's tonight, "I luh lou! I luh lou! Bye, Mama!" It was so sweet! And watching how sharp his little mind is--I can talk about something and he may not be able to say the words back, but he shows understanding by bringing me the object or sticking his foot out for his shoes or whatever I say.

6) The body. While we were at swim lessons, I also had the chance to observe other children swimming and some adults. These kids were probably between 7 and 10 years old, yet some of them had amazing form! Some of them could do the butterfly, some the back, some the breast, some fast--ALL of them swimming their little hearts out. It was really sweet!

7) Service. For young women's, we had the chance to make treats for various families in our ward and deliver them. It ended up that I didn't need to drive and so I left early to do errands. But I had the chance to see these wonderful girls, completely happy and forgetting themselves to serve someone else. Another miracle that service really can heal the heart!

8) Safety. I spent almost all of my day running places. It was super busy. Much of the time, I was in the car and in traffic. Yet, I made it home with not a scratch, no accident, etc. Complete miracle.

9) The sunset. After an amazing day, the beautiful sun setted in an orangish pink color. It looked like it should be in a magazine--PERFECT!

10) The dentist. Because of a lapse of coverage, I have not seen the dentist since last December--10 months!!! I had a check-up today, free of cavities and too much excess plaque. And I could afford to pay for the visit.

11) Our bank account. As I paid the dentist today, I thought, "Gosh, where does our money go?" Then I started thinking about how the majority of our purchases are for food, bills--electricity, water, health ins., etc. All of these things are necessary, and yes, we do go out on occasion, but for the most part, everything is needed. And we are able to do it. It doesn't really make sense, but we are. Then I started thinking about tithing; yet, another blessing and miracle. This promise about opening the windows of heaven being and pouring out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it, is ENTIRELY true. Complete miracle. And insurance. So many people don't have this and some countries are without medical help. We are so blessed here in America.

12) Prayer. This morning Ryan almost ran out the door without kneeling for family prayer. Matthew quickly reminded him, "Daddy, you forgot prayers." We knelt together in prayer, and what a great way to start the day! Miracle of the Spirit and bringing the family together.

13) The temple. A family in our ward will be sealed for all time and eternity this Saturday. Completely miraculous in every way.

And there are so many more miracles that I saw today. These are just a few, but I would advise you to compile a list of the miracles you see. It doesn't have to be on the blog, but I know that it will remind you of Heavenly Father's love for you and you will know that He still is.

6 comments:

The Carey's said...

I don't know how you fit everything in; Homemade bread, excercise, and being a great Mom. Plus taking the time to notice the everyday miracles. Your blogs are very inspiring. And little boys are so cute, your doing a great job!

Julie said...

Keri! Its been so long since I actually sat down and read "other" peoples blogs and I just spent like an hour reading yours. You are truly one of the MOST MOTIVATIONAL people in the whole world. Even if one of your posts starts off with something not so optimistic...you ALWAYS have changed it to be 100% postive at the end of your writing. I love reading what you write. You really are an inspired person.
We never realize how much we miss people until they are gone. So many times, I will walk outside and wish you still lived next door and I could come over and talk to you. Your such a good person and full of such hapiness and optimism. Thank you for that! I hope you know what a GREAT person you really are...EVERYWHERE you go!

Those boys of yours are sure gettin big and CUTE CUTE CUTE! I can't believe how much they have grown! What a cute family! You deserve all the miracles you have! That is for sure!

Anonymous said...

You really do have a way of putting everything into perspective . . . and remembering what is the most important!!!

Have you seen this BYU talk on YouTube? I think you will love it:

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=snAjZ8mfoYw

We are living in Auckland, NZ now . . . our NZ blog is: http://onlyinnewzealand.blogspot.com

AdAmy said...

I love all of your spiritual comments. You are always remembering what is most important, and that is a good example for me. Thanks.

3+Love~aki=Us said...

Thank you for your constant testimony! Your truly are a blessing in my life and I love your amazing gratitude for God's creations.

MUTHABOMB said...

I love your posting! I enjoyed sitting next to you on Sunday in Gospel Doctrine. What a great example you are and it helps that I just love your little boy ;)