Monday, October 13, 2008

"A Veritable Smorgasbord"

THE GOOSE:
A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord
After the crowds have ceased
Each night when the lights go out
It can be found on the ground all around
Oh, what a ratly feast!

Why a fair has enough disgusting leftover food to satisfy a whole army of rats...

TEMPLETON: Is this true? Is this appetizing yarn of yours true? Will I Find...

Melon rinds and bits of hot dogs
Cookie crumbs and rotten cotton candy
Melted ice cream, mustard dripplings
Moldy goodies everywhere

THE GOOSE: Yes, Yes Yes...

TEMPLETON: Lots of popcorn, apple cores
Bananna peels and soggy sandwiches
And gobs of gorgeous gook to gobble at the fair


Yes, that's right. We went to the Texas State Fair. What a fun day we had!! There was so much to look at and take in all at once. Matthew rode 3 rides and we bought 1 turkey leg and corn on the cob. We didn't even walk around the entire fairgrounds and it took us 3 hours! It was HUGE!
These are cupcakes I made for a Scout function. Can anyone tell what they are? (Hint: Think Halloween. Wink. Wink.)

Okay, and I didn't get any pics of the signs or food, but seriously Texans love their FRIED food--SICK!!! They had fried oreos, twinkies, snickers, veggies, food, shoes--you name it, they FRY it (Not really shoes, but why not?!)! I felt like a cardiologist and family doctor should be waiting next to every stand so that you could get your cholesterol and heart checked afterwards. It was NUTS!
Poor David. He was too short to go on any of the rides, so he did a lot of observing from the stroller and Dad's shoulders.
Matthew thought this was so cool to see these pumpkin carvings.


Big Tex. Never heard of it? Me neither.

We did get to see the Marine Corps cadence go by and the boys loved hearing the music.
This was the best part of the fair for our boys. They love to see/go to petting zoos. And this one had some really awesome animals.






Speaking of strange birds, when we first arrived at the fair, there was no where to park. So . . . we chose a side street and proceeded to get our stroller and belongings out of the van. This Chevy Subarban pulls up behind us all of a sudden. Out come multiple bodies, doing the same things we are. Or so we think. The next thing I know, my eyes just get bigger and bigger. I say out loud to Ryan, "I can't believe I'm seeing this." We walk a little further. "Did I really just see that?" Ryan looks at me and says, "Ker, it's not a big deal. Lots of people just put empty bottles on the street and litter. Get over it." I look at him completely confused. "What are you talking about?! I have NEVER seen a woman drop her pants and pee all over the side walk. Where is that normal or okay? Where did you see that happen?" He looks at me completely bewildered and dumb-struck. "What did you say?" I then explained how the woman got out of the car and leaned over the side of the bottom of the vehicle and did her business. Freak out! He didn't see because he was lifting the kids out of their car seats. What a way to start the fair off! We both started laughing.


We ended the day with ice cream at Cold Stone Creamery. What a great way to spend our all-day family date of the month. We had a fantastic time together!

9 comments:

Jancisco said...

That looks like tons of fun. I love county fairs and festivals. Good for you guys!

Rachel Seren said...

Looks like fun, I wonder if it comes through Houston. I have to admit, on the long journeys instead of finding a restroom I have been known to hide between the doors on the side of the interstate to do my business. But in a parkinglot! Wow!

jason and michelle clarke said...

That sounds like a HUGE fair. The pictures of the pumpkins are really cool. About the lady doing her business on the sidewalk, that's just gross, some people don't care do they. I'd laugh about it too though after walking away. You just think to each other Okay, not me.
I'm glad you guys are doing good. I've been bad at leaving comments. I'll try to do better. It's fun to read about things you guys are up to.

Christina said...

HOW FUN!!! I love going to the fair! Those pumpkins were amazing! Sounds like everyone had a great time!

Natalie said...

Wow, what a fun day! Sure the boys loved it!

kevin and angie said...

I am glad you guys were able to get out and go to the fair, and with the whole fam!!! Ya, poor David watching on the sidelines... maybe next year. Your boys are really so cute!

jason and michelle clarke said...

Keri, I was wondering if you could do me a favor? I see Gary and Mauri Allen's name on your blog. I know them both from being in the same ward and I was her V.T. They are both so awesome. I wanted to ask if you would comment on their blog, (since it's private).Would you ask them if I could be invited to join their blog. I hope you don't think I'm weird for asking you this. I just think it would be fun to catch up on things w/them and to tell them hi.Will you let me know what they say if it's not to much of a pain for you.I'll wait to see what they say,before I give our e-mail. Thanks Keri!

Kira Anne said...

LOL- my favorite is Big Tex... (and I really DID lol... haha!) How random!!! I am glad to see that you are all doing well. We miss you!
Hugs!

Seantae Jackson said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun... and I love those pumpkins... I wish I had such talent! And I love all the animals (my boys are way into animals right now) but it's neat it wasn't just the jo-shmo animals!