Today seemed sort of surreal to me. I arose early--many thanks, Matthew. He awoke around 4:30 a.m. and crawled into bed with us. We slept a little bit later, but not too much. At any rate, we were up early--which isn't always a bad thing. It seems like the day was extra productive today. I attended to much cleaning in our home, baked homemade bread, ran errands, accomplished my workout on the up-end, followed my diet, spent time with the kids, and much more. Most days are NOT like this. Don't get me wrong; I do feel like my days are busy with random things/everyday things, but that doesn't mean that I always accomplish all of the tasks at hand. Today was an all around check. I feel like so much of my day had to do with seven positive things.
#1) General Conference. I honestly felt like each talk was so inspired. I could not begin to tell you which was my favorite. However, I can say that I felt uplifted and edified. Each talk touched my heart in some way and brought the Spirit to me. I have a renewed desire to do better. I have new goals. I want to be better. And I feel like I can be better. Conference addressed some very real circumstances/trials of our time/lives; yet, it was so positive. Each of the talks left me with a sense of encouragement. Hope is alive. And my testimony has been increased. I learned so much this conference and received many personal revelations.
#2) I started my day out with scripture study. Lately, I've been doing this during the day when I find time or most days, at night--the only time I have after the kids are in bed. But over the last few days, I have been arising earlier and studying the same. What a difference to start your day out with reminders before all of the chaos and stress of the day begins! What a difference to study when your mind is fresh--mostly!
#3) I kept a prayer in my heart all day long. I feel like this was easier for me to do because I started with the Spirit much earlier in my day. I pray in the mornings, individually and with my family. And I have our good morning songs we sing each day, along with scriptures we recite. But starting with scripture study, for me, brings the Spirit and reminds me that I need to have this constant prayer in my heart.
#4) Choice. I chose to be happy today. We still had many melt downs and tantrums. We still had many arguments, fights, and time outs. Not much changed there. However, my attitude changed. I decided last night that I was going to MAKE today a great day. I decided that I was going to be happy, regardless of whatever came my way. And it worked! :D)
#5) Working out. I work out for a little over an hour each morning. It's not much, but it's enough to get my heart going and to help me feel rejuvenated. Even though I'm spent by the end of it, I feel like I have accomplished something. I also sing primary songs in my head while I am running, bear my testimony in my heart while I am running, and read the Ensign while I am walking. The rest of the time, I am praying for different things. Over the last several weeks, this has really helped me so much.
#6) Service. I had the chance to serve someone at the grocery store today. Service always takes my mind off of my circumstances and exercise charity for someone else. It was wonderful to be able to help another mother in the parking lot and encourage her--especially when I, too well, understood what she was going through today. And I felt like I was definitely the one who benefited on this one. I learned so much from this wonderful mother in a matter of the few minutes I visited with her and helped her.
#7) Missionary work. I had the chance to bear testimony to several people today. I suppose that we always have opportunities; it's a matter of whether we are in tune or not or looking for them. I felt in tune today and jumped on these opportunities. It strengthened my testimony to share these moments with these friends/strangers. I always feel better about myself when I share the Gospel with others.
#8) Fall. Today, the weather was absolutely AMAZING!!! The temperatures were cool--I'm guessing upper 70's, possibly mid. There was no humidity. A light breeze brought crispness. GORGEOUS. After we picked Matthew up from school and attended to an errand, we raced home to put things away and go for a walk/bike ride. (Matthew is a natural on his bike; he loves to ride.) We walked through the adjacent neighborhood to our apartment complex. At one point, we were coasting down the sidewalk on the perimeter of the neighborhood. Matthew rolled ahead just slightly, and as I looked forward, I felt the breeze while sun was glistening through the massive trees above and the sky appeared to be snowing leaves. Just to the south of us were several houses with various pumpkins and Halloween decorations. It was one of those moments, you hope you always remember and never forget. And then you glance to see your children's faces, and they're completely overcome with joy, smiles through and through. I LOVED it!
This was the PERFECT day.
2 comments:
That is awesome! It's SO nice to have a perfect day every once in a while to keep you going onto the next.
Ok Keri, you inspired me. So guess what I did today to try and be like you. :) I woke up early and exercised, showered, and read my scriptures. Ah, it did feel great!! Now I just need to get in the habit to do that EVERY day!! Easier said than done, right? But i am really going to try.
Post a Comment