Friday, November 14, 2008

The Last Days Before Our Eyes . . .

I cannot get the recent events in California off of my mind. Because we don't have cable and cannot receive even local channels, I googled the LA protest at the LA Temple. Below the video, many people for and against Proposition 8 commented.

One particular comment stood out to me. Someone let people know that for every person who donated $5 or more against Proposition 8, a same-sex organization/counsel would send a postcard to President Monson.

I keep thinking of the Tree of Life story in the book of Nephi. More people are making their way over to the great and spacious building and many are actually already there. Yet, all the while, like Noah, Abinadi, Samuel, Daniel, Joseph, Moses, and every other prophet to walk this earth, they are being called to repentance, to come back to the fold of Jesus Christ.

How can our world be so confused about a principle that was defined/laid out before the foundations of our world? That is that marriage is defined between one woman and one man. Heavenly Father placed Adam and Eve in the Garden together. We live in such a confused society. Satan has warped and scewed many people's vision on marriage, such a basic belief.

I've been thinking about how I can address this with many of my friends here in Texas. How can I convey to them the importance of this issue?

I guess that's where we are now required to make a stand. The line has been drawn. Which way will we stand? Will we follow the prophet only when it's convenient, or will we continue to hold onto the rod, as people are scoffing and scorning us from that lofty building, as Satan sends his servants to persuade us or persecute us into following his way?

I am convinced that Satan does not just chain us down; we submit our will to his by giving into sin. One step at a time, he slowly coaxes us into transgressing/diverting from Heavenly Father's way. Eventually that flaxen cord is wrapped around us so tightly that he has power over us and our choices are no longer our own. We are captive to him. "And there are also secret combinations, even as in times of old, according to the combinations of the devil, for he is the founder of all these things; yea, the founder of murder, and works of darkness; yea, and he leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever."

The little choices we make each day matter. The thoughts we have impact our choices. "Let virtue garnish thy thoughts unceasingly and then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God."

It starts with the clothes we wear. Are we justifying the length of a dress, because we purchased it from a really cool/nice store? Are we okay with wearing a two piece swimsuit because it looks really great on us when we've been counseled otherwise by our prophet? Are we letting ourselves slip a cuss word in because we're really upset, so it's justified? Is breaking the Sabbath okay because this concert or sporting venue only comes to town once? Are we feeling justified in our anger/lack of forgiveness to someone because they have really offended us and were clearly in the wrong? Are we listening to a song with not-so-great lyrics, because it has a really good beat or it's popular? Are we watching a tv show or movie with inappropriate scenes/talk/jokes--content, because it's funny or appealing?

Each of us has a commandment we struggle with or a temptation we give into from time to time.

More than ever, we need to stand strong against Satan. He's counting on us to not fulfill our potential and join the world in his cause of misery, captivity, and Hell.

"Choose ye this day, whom ye will serve."

"No man can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and Mammon."

In response to our friends, we need to take a stand. We need to remember to testify with kindness and with the spirit. We cannot condone sinful behavior. All children have the right to be born to a mother and father who love them (see Proclamation to the World: The Family). I know this is true. I know that this is Heavenly Father's plan for us. If we are struggling with a point of doctrine or a commandment, now is the time to "ask of God". He will testify to us of the truthfulness of His way and His light. As the world gets progressively more sinful, I testify that we can stand together and be more righteous. We can build Zion and the cause of Zion in our hearts, then our homes, families, wards, stakes, and throughout the world. We can be unified in the cause of righteousness and help prepare the world for the reign of the one true King, our Savior, Jesus Christ. Of this I testify, in His Sacred Name. Amen.

11 comments:

Sara B said...

Beautifully and profoundly put. Thank you.

Sarah and Nate said...

Thanks Keri! Before election day I was thinking how I wished I lived in CA just so that I could vote on Prop. 8. I am so glad that it passed, but it is scary that we even have to deal with issues like these!

Jancisco said...

that is a great post, Keri. I agree that things are heating up. Its time to take a stand, just being an "active" member isn't enough anymore. You have to be converted.

Christina said...

Keri,
You are amazing and I LOVE reading your testimony, because it strengthens my own. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for posting this.

Katie Jane said...

I received an email with a news article about the protests and my jaw just dropped at all that was going on. It made me feel so bad and so good at the same time. To see that the church doesn't conform to the worlds standards, but it the same yesterday today and forever. Truly inspiring! I love that we are underfire and that people are saying things , even though they may be negative, about us as a religion...I guess it means we are doing what is right. If we were going along with the crowd Satan would leave us alone right? Love it and love your post.

Rachel Seren said...

I thorougly agree, it brought tears to my eyes reading peoples accounts of what happened at the temple. I was watching the view the other day and they were misleading about prop 8 and the "mormons" feeling like we should stand up for what we believe I wrote into the show. It won't make any difference, but to me it felt good to stand up. May more of us do this and keep things from drifting too far from what we hold dear.

Natalie said...

Thanks for your example of faith and courage! Your words and testimony are inspiring and encouraging to us all!!

AdAmy said...

Amen, sister! Thanks for sharing.

kevin and angie said...

We don't have tv either, so I really don't keep up with the news as I should!! I haven't read much on what is going on in California... I do know a little, and it IS scary!! I remember my parents saying when we were younger, "things are so different now than they were when we were growing up..." and I didn't really get it I guess. Now I do!! Our kids are going to grow up in SUCH a different world than even we did, making our jobs all that more important... helping them to gain a testimony of the gospel and stand firmly in what they believe. I know that as members of the Church, we can and WILL make it to the end, the Second Coming, overcoming all the evil that is surrounding us. I love that our Church provides us with such simple guidelines, and they don't EVER change!! We know what is right, and we know what is clearly wrong. I love that we have a living prophet who helps keep things so CLEAR.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I love your words and inspiring thoughts. You are so strong. I was heartbroken when I was reading everything about what they were doing in front and to the temples. Especially that so many members have strayed away over this controversy. Thank you, again, for your thoughts.

jason and michelle clarke said...

It is really sad that all of this is happening. I read an e-mail just recently about the LA protest. It just made me sick and sad that people are doing what they are doing. I appreciate you sharing this. We all need to stay strong!!