Wednesday, January 7, 2009

One More Day

I'm not really sure what I want to accomplish with this post. I do know that my heart strings have been pulled and I feel a little broken inside.

Last night I received an email from the Pearson Early Childhood PTA president about an open position. The cause for the need is what caught my eye. Apparently, the mom who had filled the treasury position had to take a leave due to a family situation. Then, Amy asked us to pray for this family. She directed us to their website: http://roehfamily.blogspot.com/.

Now, some of you may skip over this and think it has nothing to do with you. I get that. You don't know this family. I don't know this family. But then, you consider the situation.

I read this email last night close to midnight, and I cried and prayed for the longest time. This mother just found out recently that her 18-month old, Rebecca, has mitochondrial disease. From my understanding, the body's "power houses(the mitochondria)" don't function properly, so basically you have no energy. Failure to thrive is what essentially happens and eventually, all organs shut down. There are different degrees of this disease and different diseases within the realm of mitochondrial disorders. For this particular little girl, she's been diagnosed as terminally ill. They're trying to get their daughter to a specialist before she goes home, but they're not sure she will even make it until then (January 20th) or be strong enough/well enough to travel to receive treatment. There is no cure for this/these diseases, but doctors can extend life spands with diets/vitamins/elimination of stress/etc. But, this mother's twin daughters also have this disease. They're four. One of the unique things about their particular disease is that "a child with mitochondrial disease can go from relatively healthy to fatally ill in a matter of a day."

I guess I'm just asking people to pray for this little family. I'm thinking of so many of my friends who have lost little babies or siblings. I'm thinking of Bring the Rain (http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/)". I'm thinking of my babies. I'm wondering how I would live each day with my children, if I knew it might be their last. How could I let them drift into sleep without just one more kiss, one more hug, one more "I wove you, Mom" or "You're my best friend, Mom", or soothing their cheek?

Last night and today, I have felt so grateful to Heavenly Father for blessing me with healthy children. We have had our ups and downs and hospital runs with them, but they've always pulled through.

My testimony has also been strengthened about the power of the Atonement in our lives. The Savior has PERFECT empathy for each of us. He knows our pains, our weaknesses, our joys, our strengths, our sorrows, sins, EVERYTHING. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. Our days are numbered, and He knows when it's the right time to call us home. I have faith in His plan. It certainly doesn't mean that the separation is not hard or difficult. But He is aware of each of us. I testifty of this to you.

Please pray for this family and visit their website.

11 comments:

jason and michelle clarke said...

What a sad story. That would be unbelievably hard!! You are so caring to post this about a family you don't know. May all prayers be with that family. You are so sweet. Thanks for always being so thoughtful of others!

Jackie said...

I don't know if I'm more aware lately or if there are more things going on, but I have seen so much heartache and loss in the past little while. It's really made my heart go out to all of those that are struggling with such difficult circumstances. I don't know how I am so blessed to not be going through the same thing. I guess Heavenly Father needs some of us to be strong to help those who are struggling and then one day when it's our time for heartache they can be the ones to lift us up & help us through.

Ben, Starlene, Aiden, Brynlee, and Kynzee said...

Thank you for sharing that with us. What an intense situation that seriously breaks my heart. Thank you for giving us the chance to pray for someone in need.

3+Love~aki=Us said...

WOW. I did go and visit the nlog. What an amazing little family..so much faith.

Roeh Family Update said...

Thank you for your prayers and for your kind words. I am blessed by your heart for thinking of our family.

In His Strength,
Joy Roeh

MUTHABOMB said...

Keri...thank you so much for your posts. You always help me with your caring heart and deep sincerity. You know how to bring it all back into the big picture for me.

I cried at their blog as well. Maybe because of my own trials with ashlyn right now. My heart is full of gratitude for what I have.

AdAmy said...

This just makes me all the more grateful for my two healthy little girls. It is so easy to take something as crucial as our health for granted. It is good for me to hear about stories like these, it gives me a bit of a wake up call, and reminds me to not get too comfortable. You never know when you are gonna be thrown that curve ball. I wish all the best for this family. Such a sad situation, for sure!

Seantae Jackson said...

Wow, I was thinking it would be something sad to hear, but then when you said she had twins, it really hit home for me, and also brought me to tears. I am praying for them, and am also glad that I have a testimony of the atonement and know that this family can be together, and that Christ and his angels are with them every moment.

Gabi and Steve said...

Hi Keri, glad you made it home safely with the boys. Thank you for coming to meet Alec and attend his blessing. We enjoyed seeing you and the boys, who are sooo grown up!! Wish you a wonderful 2009!
Gabi

Tracy Giles said...

They will definitely be in our prayers. What a horrible thing to have to go through. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rana said...

Sad, I will pray for them.