Thursday, January 14, 2010

Opposition

I had the chance to observe an interesting discussion between two friends, whom I grew up with. One of them made the comment,

"Haiti: Bodies piled in streets, capital city in ruins after Tuesday's 7.0 quake; up to 3 million affected. (Name Omitted) and his cynical perspectives and ideas on God and religion: Stronger than ever."


This comment has really bothered me. Various friends wrote back and stated their opinions, but I guess my answer came from a different source.

I was studying some of the lessons in the Sunday School / Relief Society manual and cross referencing with some of the excerpts from Teachings of Presidents of the Church. Although, it's too much to quote, reading pages 15-17 in the Spencer W. Kimball manual really helped.

The excerpt is entitled, "With an eternal perspective, we understand that adversity is essential to our eternal progression." He discusses the purpose behind faith, Heavenly Father's plan, opposition in all things (happiness and sadness, good and pain, health and sickness, pleasure and pain, and all opposites), the experience we gain from trials, and more. One of the things that also hit me the hardest about these words from President Kimball is that he's so human. He talks about how if he had the power, he would have stopped Paul from suffering. He would have pulled Abinadi from the fire. He would have taken the bullets for Joseph Smith. He would have removed the cup from Jesus Christ--the very act which made Him our Savior. Then, after each suffering, he discusses what was achieved. He talks about how Christ understood His purpose. Yes, the pain was beyond our capacity to understand. He wanted it removed, but He knew that He had to endure it. He knew that He had to finish it. He said, "Nevertheless, not my will but thine be done." --Luke 22:42

I cannot begin to comprehend what the circumstances must feel like and be like in Haiti. My heart breaks for these people and their families. What a sad, sad tragedy, but I absolutely do not believe that this happened because a Supreme Being forgot about us. Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need, when we need it. Those souls carried away have a greater work to do on the other side. Many were children, and they go to dwell with Him.

Much service will be rendered because of these tragedies. People will be unified. Hearts will be changed. Questions will be asked, as to the purpose of life and death. In short, much good will come from the unexpected events, which transpired Tuesday. It is my prayer that people will turn to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, the only way to heal from such.

1 comment:

Gabi and Steve said...

Hi Keri, loved this post. You truly described what I was feeling tonight after watching videos and fotos of Haiti. It is so, so sad. I hope the people will find a way to see a light in all this. I was amazed at how many countries are helping, this is truly one of biggest miracles to see. It's so sad to know that sometimes only disasters can cause nations to come together and be united....on another note...I wish you the best in these last few days of pregancy and that all may go well with the delivery! I'll call you this weekend to wish you good luck!! We're so excited to have another cute boy in the family. Love,
Gabby