Saturday, January 16, 2010

A Time To Mourn

My grandfather was diagnosed with advanced bone cancer yesterday. Although we'll find out Monday if any treatment is possible, the family expects pain meds will be offered and time left defined. The cancer is in his spine, his arms, legs, and various organs.

To say my heart is broken would be an understatement. Last night, I think I fell asleep around 3 a.m. Today, the tears continue to come and go.

I know my Pop-Pop will be okay. He's one of the most prepared men I know. He's lived his life in a way, unlike others. When I look back on how Ryan and I have patterned our marriage over the past 7 1/2 years, much of how I know to treat Ryan has been learned from my grandparents.
I have never known Pop-Pop to speak unkindly of Grammy. He's always helped her around the house, whether it be dishes, cleaning the carpets, laundry, mowing the lawn, or whatever she asked of him. Pop-Pop has served in the temple two days a week for the past 12 years. With the exception of two 1-week vacations a year, and maybe a handful of sicknesses, he has missed hardly any days. In addition, he's always been one to take his Priesthood responsibilities very seriously and remained worthy of this calling. He's been a wonderful patriarch to his family and loved each of his daughters and their spouses. His love has extended to his grandchildren and great grandchildren.

I have memories of vacations, Rook games, televised baseball games, picnics in the mountains, Sunday family dinners and prayers, baby blessings, and more. Many times after school, I would go to my grandparents' house to have a snack and visit. Pop-Pop would sit with me on the couch with his arm around me and listen. He would laugh with me and encourage me.

I love my Pop-Pop. While I know he will be okay, I miss him already. I miss him for me and what he means to me. I miss him for my sweet Grammy. I miss him for my children, for the things he will miss out on in their mortal lives. But I know we will be together again. I know we are an eternal family. We have been sealed in the Holy Temple of God and what is bound here, through those sacred ordinances, is bound also in Heaven. I'm grateful we have been able to find out ahead of time. I pray that as soon as I am well enough to travel that my little family can get to Colorado in time to see him before he goes home to meet His Maker.

Ethan Donal will carry his name.

7 comments:

Natalie said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Prayers of comfort and peace coming your family's way.

Jenni S said...

Oh, I'm sorry Keri. He sounds like a wonderful man. It's neat that you have so many wonderful memories of him already to comfort you. I hope you can get over to see him when you're well also. Take care of yourself.

Marianne said...

I'm sorry, Keri! It is hard to say goodbye even when you know where they will be and you will see them again. I still cry all the time because I miss my grandparents so much. It is just plain hard. I hope you get a good visit in with your grandpa.

Tracy Giles said...

That is such sad news and I'm so sorry for you and your family. I hope you do get to CO again very soon so you can see him.

Kristen said...

I'm sorry to hear of such news. I pray that the Lord will comfort you and your family during this difficult time. What a neat legacy to name your baby after him. I'm sure that he will love that.

Lindsay said...

I'm so sorry Keri. Even with the perspective of the Gospel you'll still miss him. I think about my Grandma often and try to please her as I would if she were still living. It's a blessing to have wondeful grandparents who provide such a good example.

Aubrey said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. What great memories you have of him, that you'll be able to keep with you always. It's neat that you will be able to name your son after such a good man.