Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Davey's Home

Matthew and I returned last week to get Matthew back to school, but David remained in Colorado for a week longer. It was really sad not having him here. Yes, he brings a lot of chaos to the table with his noise level and "bruiser-like" behavior. But he also brings a lot of cuddling to the table too. He has such a sweet side with his flirtatious eyes and big smile. I found myself constantly walking by his room and glancing in to see if he was there. I had to remind myself that he hadn't run away in the grocery store--he simply was gone. I really missed him.

We arrived home shortly before the bus dropped Matthew off from school. Upon his arrival, David came running out of the house with his arms wide open. When Matthew saw him, he ran over to him and threw his arms around him. Both gave hugs and kisses and immediately ran inside to start asking each other questions. David wanted to show Matthew his new light-up, Lightning McQueen shoes, and Matthew had lots of questions about David's various new toys and gadgets. During dinner, the two made faces and giggled about various things. Bedtime was full of tickles and more giggles. And really my heart just felt overwhelmed by love for these three precious brothers. What a blessing to be a mother and to be a mother of such special spirits.

Each time we see a missionary, I try to encourage my boys to go shake hands and interact, as that will be them some day. Yesterday, when I was picking up David in the airport and exchanging him from my dad, I watched a whole slew of missionaries come through security. It was an awesome sight to see so many in white shirts, ties, and suits, with neat and trim hair cuts. I watched the reactions of those around me, as everyone was drawn to these young men. I thought about the sacrifices each of them has made in order to serve the Lord. They each left family, friends, and loved ones behind. Perhaps, some of them left a scholarship on hold to serve the Lord. Others their age are thinking about much different things; yet, each of these 19-year old young men decided to serve the Lord. They looked sharp. I also thought about my boys. What a blessing it will be to see Matthew, David, and Ethan each serve missions one day. These are the elite. Again, my heart fills swollen with love for what I've been given. It's a special task and calling in life to be a mother and it's an even greater task to raise little boys, which will one day grow into men and become patriarchs of their homes. "My cup runneth over."

No comments: