Ryan and I had the opportunity to visit Grandma Flamm twice since we got married. Although she was in pain when we visited her, I do remember that she was very warm and accepting. She treated us with the utmost kindness, and from what everyone says, this lady was a RIOT. Everyone who knew Grandma Flamm continues to tell me how witty she was. And I know that she passed down many, many yummy recipes in the Flamm / Allred cookbook. Thanks to her, we know how to cook a Thanksgiving dinner and we've attempted candy--though, from what I hear, ours is NOTHING like hers.
While I didn't know her as Ryan did, I am grateful for her passing. She has been a widow for many, many years, and longed so much to be with her husband. What a wonderful reunion that must have been! We're happy for her release from her mortal and ailed body. What a blessing for her and for her caretakers (her daughters). It's so hard to watch those we love lose the freedom and capacity to do the things they enjoy, because their bodies do not allow such.
Even though we are sad for her children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, and friends, we know that she's much happier and we're grateful to have had this wonderful woman in our lives!
D'Lonna, Ryan's sister, wrote some really sweet things about Grandma Flamm on her blog. I have been waiting for someone to put a picture up of her. Go to: http://wayneanddlonnanelsonfamily.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-birthday-grandma.html to see Ryan's grandma.
No comments:
Post a Comment