Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mom's Day

After an especially busy day yesterday, I came home to beautiful flowers from Ry and a very kind and generous service in yard work (We really do have AMAZING neighbors and friends.). And can I just say, the day was wonderful. We attended the baptism of three little ones. In our church, we baptize at the age of accountability--8 years.

The first baptism occurred in Magnolia for a dear friend of ours. We have known these friends since the first month we got married, almost 9 years ago. Their son, Jesse, entered the waters of baptism yesterday. I couldn't help but feel a little teary over the entire situation. I saw this boy just hours after his birth. I watched him eat his first solid foods, take his first steps, get teeth, tantrum, get a new baby brother, and more. I cannot believe he is already 8. It's gone so fast--TOO fast. And that will be Matthew next year. My heart felt very tender as I tried to soak up the moment and really grasp that these boys are growing.

Later that evening, we found ourselves at another baptism--this time for two children in our ward. Again, it was such a special experience to be a part of. We obviously don't know these kids as well since we've only lived here two years, but that doesn't change the fact that Matthew and David look up to them so much. I have definitely tucked this away as a treasured memory.

This morning, while I took my time getting ready, Ryan took care of the kiddies, as well as wrote me cards, and tidied the house (specifically the dishes). He said later that he had planned on bringing me breakfast in bed, but didn't realize we only had 3 eggs left. Ummm . . . skip the breakfast. I LOVELOVELOVE that he did the dishes. I don't mind doing them. It actually relaxes me to ponder events of the day and whatever else; however, I know that he HATES the dishes. So for him to do these was a big deal. It was very sweet. I have definitely felt celebrated. (Matthew also brought home a flower to me and a book he made for me from school.)

Anyway, I have just been reflecting on faith. Aside from what it is and how you add it to your other godlike attributes, I don't think we live in a world where we can afford not to choose it. These are the last days. The world is getting more wicked at quite a rapid pace. Less and less people believe in God and Jesus Christ and marriage and family. Satan and his army take prisoners daily and people are slipping through the cracks. Just because it is the last days, it does not mean that Heavenly Father is going to take away our adversities. If anything, I think that the wicked around us will sort of magnify those trials. Satan is standing by to take us, and we can't give in.

If you are going through a hard time or struggling within yourself, know that you are not alone. Turn to Heavenly Father, look to friends, family, clergy members, but don't give in. Don't give up. Choose faith.

1 comment:

Rachel Seren said...

Thanks again for being there for Jesse on such a wonderful day. It meant a lot to me that you would sacrifice time and energy to come be with our family. We treasure your friendship!