Monday, July 11, 2011

Pop-Pop's Passing


Pop-Pop passed away today, Monday, July 11, 2011 at 5:55 p.m. in Gilbert Arizona at the Hospice center. He left this world surrounded by three of his daughters and three of his grand-daughters, as well as one grandson, and four great-grandsons. Hours before his death, I had the privilege to sit with him and sing hymns, as well as speak to him alone. I watched the nurses, ever so sweetly comb his hair and shave the few whiskers on his face, as he always kept himself presentable and dignified in everything that he did. Oh, how I am going to miss that man! Ryan was allowed the honor to give him a Priesthood blessing of release. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to watch him take his last breath. What a special experience to see him released from his pain and affliction in this world. I can only imagine the reunion with his parents and other loved ones on the other side. "God be with you 'til we meet again, Pop."


Pop-pop,


Could I love a grandfather more?


Much of how I know to live and love comes from the example you set. From early on, I knew that to be part of this family meant we worked hard and honestly. You didn't mind what we chose for a career path, as long as we pushed ourselves to reach our potential and sought out as much education as possible.


I learned from you that we are to love our spouses passionately and devote our lives to them. We all watched you honor Grammy, as you scrubbed the carpets, the baseboards, washed the windows, or attended whatever work needed finishing. We learned pride in our work. We learned that marriages really can last for 50 and 60 years, and that even when we are closer to the end than the beginning, that we can still be just as much, if not much, much more, in love.


My memories of you will always include: butter pecan ice cream, a good hand of Rook, swimming at the "poo," the World Series in Cincinnati, long chats after softball practice in high school, Nascar races, cases of Dr. Pepper, temple sessions, and sacrament meetings in the Daniel's Park Ward next to you.


From the time I was a little girl, you have always shown your family loyalty. Whether we were right or wrong, you stood by us and offered your full support. One such occasion can be recognized via the rocks I threw in your neighbor's pool in Florida. After convincing Steven to do it with me, and then, sheepishly hiding, you went to your neighbor and defended me. You told me that that neighbor was always mean and grouchy anyhow.


You made me feel beautiful. I remember cutting my hair to practically nothing, as a freshman in high school, and due to scheduling conflicts, my mom sent you to pick me up at the salon. While I teared up over the mess, you convinced me how lovely it looked and how beautiful you thought me to be. I observed how you looked at each of us on our prom nights or in our wedding dresses. We felt so beautiful, knowing we had your approval and praise.


When I became a mother for the first, a second, and third time, there were many and still are many hard days. After one particularly difficult event, I especially struggled with my self-confidence in my motherhood. I remember how you reassured me that things would be okay, and you let me know that I still had your confidence.


Oh, how we all can learn to view the world through your eyes. I can count on less than one hand the number of times I ever heard you say a negative thing about someone else. You have served as en endless example of someone who truly acts without guile and loves unconditionally. You have always seen the good in others and sought to build them up. I have learned more about Jesus through your example than probably any life to ever touch mine.


And now my baby will always carry your name, in hopes that he will honor you with a life of righteous living, abiding by the same principles and precepts you have lived by. I hope each of my boys will look to you to pattern his life after, to uphold us Priesthood and responsibilities. We feel grateful that each of our sons has had the opportunity to meet you and know you.


As we have watched you battle this cancer over the past year and a half, we have further witnessed your courage and valor. You have met the challenge, together with Grammy, each day.


You have always had a quiet humility and dignity about you, assessing who you are and what you stand for, but never letting your goodness go to your head. While you have always carried a light-heartedness about you, easily laughing and smiling, you have also always been a straight shooter. As soon as you have learned something new, I have watched you apply it to your life.


I don't like to think about our parting. It's going to be hard here, because we are going to miss you so. How I will long to sit on the couch next to you with my arms wrapped around you, feeling your whole body shake each time you laugh or when someone brushes your side and tickles you. I will miss our talks and your inquiries into our lives, as if we are the most important and interesting people alive. I will miss the security I feel when you are near and the tenderness you have with our little ones. I will miss your kindness and the love I feel in just being in your presence.


Pop-pop, you have lived such a wonderful life. And this is only a small portion. You will do even greater things on the other side. But here . . . on the mortal side, you have raised a wonderful family and left an undying legacy to your posterity. It is my hope that we can live worthily to be reunited with you on the other side of the veil. And when it is our time to be called up, we hope for the privilege of your escorting us home.


Pop-pop, we love you. We cherish you. Thanks for bringing us such joy and happiness. We promise to care for your sweet "Mother" and "Grammy," until she, too, is called up.


Faithfully yours,

Keri, Ryan, Matthew, David, & Ethan
(Kiwi, Big Ry, Teo, Davey, & Butter)

4 comments:

Gabi and Steve said...

Keri, you always write so beautifully. I'm bawling reading over this post...everything is so true about him. I'm so glad I got to know him these last 6 years, he will always be remembered. I hope your grandma is doing ok. Steve is on his way now. Love,
Gabi

Marianne said...

I'm crying too! What a beautiful post, Keri. It makes me think of my grandpa who passed 3 years ago. Someday we will both have joyous reunions with our grandpas!

Tracy Giles said...

Yep, I'm crying along with everyone else. That was beautiful, Keri. It sounds like he was an incredible man and what a way to honor him. Don't we all hope that someone will say those things about us when we are called to the other side. Thank you for sharing that.

Seantae Jackson said...

Keri,
I'm sorry for his loss, but thank you for the sweet reminder to cherish those around us.