Well, while the boys were in the bathtub playing, I thought it might be a good idea to get a few things out of the way (i.e. find out where playgroup was via email and tidy up). As I was reading my email from our playgroup leader, I suddenly heard what appeared to sound like "rushing water". I turned and asked the boys what they were up to. The noise was gone--so I figured that David had dumped some water out. I let them know to keep the water in the bathtub. A few seconds later, "Gosh, is the toilet running?"--to myself. "Matthew, are you going potty? Why is the toilet running, like it was just flushed? David, get back in the tub."
A few seconds later, "Wow, I still hear that running noise. What's the deal?" Thoughts processing . . . start to worry . . . it could be . . . it could be this . . . worrying . . . heart heavy . . . running to the bathroom . . . PANIC!!!
The entire floor was glistening about an inch high and it was moving onto the carpet in the hallway . . .
David decided to try to flush their pajamas down the toilet. Now, I am not aware of any toilet, which has the opening or the power to plummage (Is this a word?) multiple pairs of clothes. We did have a few instances a few years ago, where Matthew actually flushed his tiny underwear down the toilet, and we have not seen them since. But these are David's pajamas we're talking about and Matthew's.
Anyway . . . water was just gushing out of the toilet--GUSHING!!!!
I remove David's death grip from the toilet handle, and quickly remove the clothes. Then, I grab towel after towel--including our massively LARGE beach towels. To give you an idea, these are like $20-25 towels that are big enough for two people to lay on and SUPER thick. The water soaked through and drenched these towels in a matter of seconds. I used three and it still wasn't getting the mess.
Then, about 10 minutes later in the bedroom, "Mom, I like space things. That makes me really happy. What makes you happy?"
Thoughts begin turning again, and I think to Emily's testimony from Sunday. I think to last night's young women's activity about gratitude journals. I realize, "You boys are my happiness. Your dad is my happiness. The Gospel. It's just a moment. It's going to pass me by. Think about how quickly David has just forgiven you for his spankin's. Think about how sweet this beloved child is, realizing you are upset, and he's trying to do what you try to do for him when he's upset."
"Find joy in the journey . . . now."
21 comments:
Oh, that stinks. I'm sorry that happened. That is too cute that he asked you what makes you happy to help you focus on something else. What a cutie.
Oh Keri! We haven't experienced anything like that yet! I have to say that I did laugh, only because I can imagine myself in a similar situation. YOu're a great mother!
Oh my heavens! It's good to know that I am not the only one that has moments like that. I hope your day gets better.
OH NOOOO.....I know all about that one. So sorry it happened to you :( It's hard be upset when they try to make you happy after!!!! You have the sweetest little boys!!!! hope the rest of you days is WONDERFUL :)
Okay, I know it's not funny when you are in the moment, but I did laugh when I read that it was his pajamas he tried to flush down the toilet. You will definitely look back and laugh one day. It might not be until they have boys of their own who try the same thing, but the day will come. You are such a good mom. Sometimes I have such a hard time keeping my cool. I'm glad you got a picture of the towels!
MAN! I don't know if I would've stopped to THINK like that. Your awesome! I wanna be like that when/if I get the chance to have a child who does that. ;)
Wow, that is quite the story!! I'm sure quite the mess to clean up!
Benson always asks me, "Mommy are you happy?" "Yes." "Well then where's your smile?"
These kids sure are great reminders to us of what is REALLY important!
That's where I think, thank goodness it wasn't my kids! :) I think there was something in the air this past week, I think every blog I have read has had some type of hillarious yet tragic story! If it makes you feel any better, my sister's daughter dumped a whole gallon can of dark brown paint all over the center of her living room carpet yesterday! It's definately in the air! I love your outlook on it, you're a better mom than me! :)
OK, so I hope you laugh as hard in the FUTURE as I did just now. Hope it doesn't flood your downstairs though. It's funny how in tune they are with us sometimes. What wonderful little spiritual examples they can be. Good luck and I hope you wash those pajamas well! Brit :o)
Sorry I was unclear about the high councilman. He encouraged them to share on their blogs. To make sure they portray that part of their lives as publicly as everything else. It is a great missionary tool.
Oh Keri! I'm so sorry about that. I'm just waiting for my little boy to pull that one...The worst he's done is pull the toilet brush into the bathtub with him (digusting) and splash a shocking amount of water on the floor...But nothing compared to your issue!!! I hope it didn't cause any lasting damage to the foor! Your boys are SO SWEET!
Keri you poor thing. . .at least the kids didn't decide to go swim in the toilet water! Always look for the silver lining! =)
oh. my. goodness. i feel partly responsible because you were reading the playgroup e.mail when it all happened! (teasing :)
we had a toilet in college that liked to pretend it was Old Faithful and I still shudder to think of soaking up toilet water with my towel. ick.
loved the end of this post; remarkable perspective during that kind of a moment.
Oh my!! I am so sorry you had to experience this. You have way more patience than I would have had. I think I would have put myself in time-out for at least 30 min. to regroup. Kids..... what are they thinking half the time? You love them soooo much but then they have the ability to drive you absolutely crazy. I can't really complain though, my kids really are Angels most of the time. :)
I'm glad you were able to get the water cleaned up. You've got a lot of patience. I don't think I would have that much after that big of a mess. At least not for an hr or so.
Way to keep your cool. Ken and I thought your conversations with matthew were really funny, and Ken thought the whole thing was funny until I pointed out that David only has 2 months on Tyler and soon he'll be pulling the same stunts. That sobered him up! I'm sorry you had to clean up all that water though, that is no fun...
hi Keri, thanks for sharing the stories so I can be better prepare myself for when it's my turn!!! hehe. How is everyone? I heard you are coming over in a couple weeks. How fun! Now you have to come see our place. My grandma will come back in a few weeks too, to help me w/ taking care of Alec. It will be great. Hope everyone is doing good!
Wow, once again, another inspiring post to read and a great reminder of how forgiving kids are. I love that you find the happiest things in every situation. I hope everything will be ok with your floors!! I think you will look back and laugh one day, and you will be glad you got the picture. You are a great mom Keri! I sure hope all is well with you guys and your family! I still think about you when I walk out to our parking lot. :(
what a mess!! experiences like this we will laugh at some day, right?? keri, you are so sweet... thank you for the nice comment on our blog, and thank you for thinking of me!! i think of you often as well. i really can't complain though, things have been pretty good for us. hard living at home with my parents, and our calling has been challenging, but we have been extremely blessed!! i love you, and your friendship. you always make me smile!!
I'm sorry for your terrible day, but that was really funny. And what a sweet little boy you've got (despite the jammie-flushing)! "What makes you happy?" Oh my gosh. I seriously almost exploded there.
Yikes! Life is just full of fun things like this, huh?!! You are always so calm & patient about everything, though! I always really admire that in you!!!
Post a Comment