Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Endearment


When do we become endearing?


I was sitting in my lonesome box at work last night contemplating this question. This old, little lady came and purchased tickets for herself and her friend. A minute or so later, her friend came straggling in. As she walked by my box, she smiled one of those warm, "grandma" smiles (like you were her favorite person in the whole world and she beleived you could do anything), and she waved at me. It was such a sweet gesture and said so much in the few seconds that I encountered her.


I began thinking about all of the special elderly people in my life. Some older people are grouchy, but the ones in my life are enchanting and kind and really, really sweet and adorable.


So when does that change take place? Is it all of a sudden when you become a grandparent or you turn 62, and the switch flips?


My thoughts also turned to people who have had this quality about them their entire lives. How do they do that?


Carol Thompson, for example. She was the type of person who just had this glow about her. She could make you feel so special and wonderful and loved (more than you deserved) and happy on your most rotten day. She always sought for the good in people. Her entire life she struggled with many health issues, and yet, she never complained. Being in her presence, you came to know the Savior better, because she emulated Him in everything she did.


Jolinda Prickette. Same thing. She is a woman who has so much on her plate, and yet, she is the most kind-hearted and sweetest person you will ever meet.


Dianna Thimmes. I'm not sure there is another woman like this. She has such a compassion and love for all she meets and serves. She follows the promptings of the Spirit. Her humility and meekness is inspiring.


Merlene Featherstone. She was the matron of the Logan Temple while we lived in the 5th ward for four years. I felt like I was at home and being encircled by the arms of a Heavenly Mother. This is how I picture our's to be. It would only seem fit. She just had genuine, pure love for everyone she came across.


I've been tutored by so many amazing women. And I know there are many more than I have listed here. But this is who I want to be. I want everyone who comes my way to feel welcome, like they are home, whether they actually come into my home or they are in company. I want to emulate the Savior in such a way that other people can draw closer to Him through me. I want to be an instrument in His hands by following the promptings of the Holy Ghost.

6 comments:

Jackie said...

I loved this post, thanks. I'm so grateful for people like this...they give me so much to strive towards.

Julie said...

What a sweet post! you are one of the most thoughtful people I know! :)

Rachel Seren said...

I think there are a lot of people out there that have that quality throughout their lives. There is this amazing woman in my ward that makes you feel wonderful about yourself and feel so positive. A friend asked her if she was always like this and she just said she has always tried to focus on the positive in life. I would love to be like her if only a little bit. Hey, we have a fun new family video on our blog, you should check it out! hint hint! :)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! It 'takes one to know one'. I think you already have those "endearing" qualities!!!!

Aubrey said...

I, too, think you are an amazing person Keri. You are a great example, and someone I would love to be more like someday. I have a great love of (most) older people. They always seem to bring a smile to my face, and they know so much more than we do. We have a lot to learn from them.

April said...

I have also been blessed to rub shoulders with some amazing women. I feel that it is the real honor of being in the church and RS is to meet and be taught by and become friends with truly great women. I loved your tribute.