Thursday, July 31, 2008

SCARY!!!

So just having had my parents in town, we recently discussed with them the possibility of locking the kids in the car while it was running. The van automatically locks when placed into drive. I told my mom this was not a possibility, because once Matthew is buckled in, he can in no way get out. The two locks on his car seat are too hard for him to undo at this point in time. Having prefaced my story, I commence.

Thursdays are playgroup days in our new ward, the Plano 6th ward. During the summer, playgroup always happens at the pool, because it's too hot to play on the equipment at the park. So . . . I geared up the boys for swimming and decided I would wait to shower until after our pool party. About 30 minutes before we were supposed to be there, I opened my email to find out specifically which pool it would take place at. Come to find out, it's supposed to rain today really hard. Play group has been changed to Chuck-e-Cheese. Oh my gosh! I haven't even showered! So I threw in a movie for the boys and jumped in the shower. We left at 10:10. I was thinking to myself, "Wow, that's pretty good, considering all that had to be done before we left."

My whole goal in going to this place was to keep my cool. Far too many times, my boys have melt downs in "happy" places such as this. The entire time, I did keep my cool. Things went quite smoothly actually. I was really relaxed. The boys were having fun. So then, it's time to go.

The crying and screaming starts from Matthew. He doesn't want to leave. Big surprise!

We leave anyways. I put David in his seat and buckle him up. Matthew jumps in his seat and buckles himself up, all the while carrying on this fit.

I put my bag in the car and crank the A/C. I walk around to the back and put the stroller in. I get in and put the car into gear. And what do you know? The back door isn't closed all of the way.

So I jump out and open the back door. I remove the stroller and reposition it in the back. I push really hard to get it in (Actually against the door LOCK in the back). It worked! Great! That was easy! I shut the door, and all appears to be in tow.

I walk around to the front and the door won't open. I look down to the lock and can it be??! It's locked!! What?! I walk around and around and then to the back. The kids are both screaming now.

And they are locked in the car while it's running, but thankfully with air conditioner, since it's 101 degrees outside today.

I run into the place. The last sister from playgroup has just left. My phone is in my car with any helpful phone numbers. Don't panic. PRAY. "Please Heavenly Father. This is really dangerous, and the kids are upset. Please help us to find a way to open this door. THINK. I find the Chuck-e-Cheese personnel, borrow a phone, and call Ryan.

He is getting off of 365 onto 75. He just happened to get off early today by a couple of hours. He meets us in 15 minutes.

Huge answer to prayers!! This was very scary for me, but I'm happy to say that I remained calm. And once again, I felt Heavenly Father's hand in my life, keeping watch over us, His children.

15 comments:

April said...

AHHHH!! I have a similar story. I jumped out of the car in the rain to get the mail and left it running. It locked. No cell phone(in the car), no house phone, hubby at work, no extra keys. I flaged down a neighbor, borrowed his cell and called 911. The fireman, who are 30 seconds away, came and "broke in" to my car and we got it unlocked. You can always call 911 if there are children in the locked, running car.
So, I know how scary it can be! I am glad that it worked out for you, it is so hard sometimes to keep a level head in a situation like that.

Allred Family said...

That is so SCARY!!!!! I am afraid to close my doors when the car is running because I think it could happen. Sometimes our car door locks have a mind of their own!!! How lucky that help came fast, and the A/C was Running!!!!!!

Tracy Giles said...

Yikes! That would be so scary!!! Heavenly Father was definitely looking out for you! I'm so glad you had the A/C on. I'm always scared that will happen to us!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is the worst feeling ever! Every night when I lay down in bed and think of all the little prayers that were answered throughout my day, it always humbles me. It's amaizing how much we moms need our father in heaven to help us keep our kids safe. I'm glad it ended well. I bet you gave your kids extra hugs when you put them to bed that night!

Sara B said...

How stressful! So glad Ryan was close. You did an awesome job staying calm and remembering to pray!

Chase said...

Thanks for sharing this - I love reading about the tender mercies the Lord shows us each day. I can't imagine how scared you must have felt though!

Seantae Jackson said...

I haven't looked at your blog in so long. It looks like your doing great- especially now that everybody got out the car safely!

Unknown said...

Wow! Keri, you are so wonderful! I sure miss you alot up here. Your boys are growing so handsome and I am happy that you sound so happy down there! I appreciate you "dropping in" on my blog. Love ya tons!

DLonna said...

I too have had this happen.

I had my boys sitting in the car while we waited for Dave to finish soccer practice. The practice was over. I look at the other boys and said don't get out I just going to get Dave. Well, Tyler hopped out and followed me, because I had forgotten something. He was worried his brothers would be kidnapped, so he made sure he locked the door. When I got back, the panic set in.

Luckily my friend called her locksmith. Texas policy says any time a child is locked in the car (even though my air was on) they have to call the police. We had sirens and all welcome the boys out of the car. While this was happening (of coarse Wayne is on call), a huge storm was coming. We barely made it home before the tornado sirens started. My power was out, and I couldn't open the garage door.

The boys and I finally got in and headed straight to the bathroom to take cover from a potantial tornado.

YOu got to love life's little jokes.

Julie K said...

One of my biggest mom fears, certainly! So glad it all worked out. Time for one of those spare keys in the magnetic key box under the fender. I like Pie's car because if the key is in the ignition, the car will not lock even if you are trying to push the lock button. Backup for situations such as this.

Julie K said...

I should clarify, the car will lock if you are in it, but if you leave the key in the ignition and open the door, you cannot get the thing to lock. The car does automatically lock the doors when you put it in drive.

Christina said...

Oh my gosh Keri!! I had this happen to me when Maddie was just a few months old, in a Target parking lot! I had to call 911, and there is a fire dept right across the street. I had to wait all of about 3 minutes! I was scared to death, and felt like a HORRIBLE mom. :( I'm glad your kiddos are safe! Answer to pray FOR SURE!

Jenni S said...

Oh, I'm glad that day is over for you! I would have had a panic attack - until I remembered to let the Lord help like you did. Way to go - you're a great mom by always remembering to let Him help you.

Love Our House said...

What an amazing story! I'm so glad we have lots of angels watching over us. Glad you guys were OK. Brit :o)

jason and michelle clarke said...

Keri, what a scare. Ryan was meant to get off early that day. I've had that happen too,it's not fun. Glad everything is okay.Thank you for keeping us in your prayers too, we appreciate it.