Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Few Laughs

On the way home from Easter dinner at Ryan's parents, we started talking about the beautiful sunset in the sky.

Ryan: Wow, Guys! Look how pretty the sunset is! It's almost as pretty as your mom.
Matthew: (Laughing and yet in a serious tone) Mom's not pretty, Dad!

Ryan then looked over at me to see if I was laughing or crying. We couldn't stop laughing! Sometimes our kids just have those too-honest moments.

Two minutes later

Ryan: Matthew, is Mom pretty.
Matthew: Yeah.


Last night for family home evening, we had more of a family counsel discussion rather than a formal lesson. Ryan brought up how we need to be treating each other better. We discussed different ideas with the kids on how we could be a more unified family, and specifically, we discussed what the rules/consequences for breaking the rules were.

Ryan: So what do you think we should do Matthew whenever we feel like yelling?
Matthew: Hmmm . . . we could get spanked.
Me: (Smiling and yet, sad that Matthew knows what a spanking is.)
Ryan: No, we are not spanking anymore . . . ever. We do not want that in our home. How about we pray each time we feel like hitting someone or yelling.
Matthew: Or punching someone or kicking or screaming or . . .
Ryan: Yes, for all of those things, Matthew. We need to pray to have the spirit back and ask Heavenly Father to help us not to do those things. Okay?
Matthew: Allright. High five!

Five minutes later something happened, and I, Mom, raised my voice.

Matthew: Oh! Mom yelled. You need to go to your room and say a prayer, Mom.

Chuckling a little bit, and yet, feeling really humbled, I offered a prayer. Again, how much they can teach us!


Yesterday, this happened as well. Matthew, David, & I were all getting ready for lunch. I had already placed their food on the table. Then, I stood in the kitchen preparing/nibbling on mine.

Matthew: Mom, we didn't say a prayer. Who's going to say it?

Again, feeling very humbled, I called on someone to offer the blessing.

7 comments:

AdAmy said...

I just love the innocence of little children!! I love that they are so dedicated to what is right, they take in everything you teach them and try so hard to apply it to their lives. Keri, you are such a good Mom, a great spiritual example to your children! Such a great post for the Easter season.

Anonymous said...

I remember when you guys first moved into our ward, you stood up and bore your testimony and Max told me that he thought you were one of the prettiest girls. Don't tell him I told you that! :) So don't worry, I don't think any sunset could out-do you! Not with your eyes.

Jenni S said...

It is SO good we have them for those little reminders we need daily to be better.

Kristen said...

I just love the things kids say. They definitely keep us on our toes! Your boys are very cute! I hope that you are doing well. Thanks for being such a great example to me!

Aubrey said...

Very sweet, funny post. And you ARE beautiful! Those are great pictures, too. Thanks for sharing.

Ellis said...

Out of the mouths of babes, eh? :) I can't believe how cute your boys are. I think Matthew looks so much like you!

Megan Bartlett said...

I tell you what Keri, you are totally raising your kids the right way. The fact that they are reminding you to say prayers and all that...Don't kick yourself for forgetting, be grateful your kids are so good and be happy for yourself that you and your hubby are doing such a great job!