Friday, July 3, 2009

Hormones

I'm a pretty emotional person without all of the extra, crazy, out-of-whack hormones that come with pregnancy. So . . . factor that in, and life gets pretty interesting.

Before we knew we were pregnant with Matthew, I remember the first time I lost it. It was about 11 p.m. some random night and I jumped up from whatever we were doing in the family room and told Ryan I was hungry for an omelet. He looked at me entirely confused. I then explained that I wanted a chicken, onion, and cheese omelet. I began cooking, and Ryan walked into the kitchen.

Ryan: "So you're really making one?"
Me: "Yes. Do you want one?"
Ryan: "Sick! Seriously?! That's disgusting, and it's 11:00 at night!"

All of a sudden, my lips begin to quiver and I'm crying uncontrollably.

Ryan: "Are you crying?"
Me: "Yes." Followed by harder sobs.
Ryan: "Why are you crying?! Over an omelet??"
Me: "I don't know!"

Ryan then ran downstairs and called a good friend to ask him what was up with me. The friend encouraged him to look into a pregnancy test. Amazing.

While I was pregnant with David, something similar happened. I had a friend over and Ryan was leaving for a football game or headed into work. I had cooked chicken and rice and was pretty far along in my pregnancy. All of a sudden, since clumsiness and shakiness are a big part of me while pregnant, I dropped the plate of chicken and rice to the floor. I just stared at the floor.

Ryan stood there waiting to see what my reaction would be.

Ryan: "Ker, it's okay. It's not a big deal. It's just a plate of rice. We can clean it up."
Me: "No, we can't! It's not okay." Sobbing, again, uncontrollably.
Ryan: "Why are you crying?!"
Me: Again, "I don't know!"

Ryan just stared at me.

Yesterday, Ryan had just come home and was sitting on the couch. I was trying to get ahead by preparing dinner early. I put a big pot of rice to cook on high on the stove. Then, since it would be a while before it boiled, I picked up a book and sat on the couch. About 20 minutes later, I thought, "Wow, whatever is cooking in the kitchen does not smell very good. It smells like it's burning." And then, I continued to read my book. About 10 minutes later, it occurred to me that it was my rice. I ran over and took care of the situation, but felt really frustrated.

So . . . in attempt to calm down and still feel productive, I began making the chicken/sauce mixture. I quickly grabbed my ingredients and started (without the recipe). Ryan had already chuckled about the rice.

After watching me a few minutes, he says, "Ker, what are you going to use for chicken broth? Did you buy some or make some with Bouillon cubes?" I immediately stop in my tracks and realize I don't have like half of the ingredients needed for this recipe and I've already started mixing things. Deep breaths. Chest heaving a little bit.

I look over at Ryan and his eyes are dancing and he's on the verge of losing it from laughing. He starts to look away. I start to laugh too. And then . . . I start to sob. And then, I'm laughing again, and ultimately, crying a lot.

However, it's important to note, Ryan never once asked me why I was crying. Progress.

Five minutes later, I'm totally fine and confronting my chicken / Hawaiian / Chinese Haystacks situation. Chicken broth cans happen to be in our food storage. Happy day. Not the end of the world.

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Sounds like you need to stay away from chicken, rice and eggs while you're pregnant! =) Call if you ever need a shoulder to cry on.

Jackie said...

I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I'm an emotional wreck when I'm pregnant. Those stories sound very familiar to many situations I've had...funny women we are.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny! BTW - Congrats on your pregnancy!!! I do have to say, thank goodness I'm done though! :) I know Max is very relieved it's over too.

Buck & Ashley Higgs said...

I was totally laughing at those stories. I have had those moments when I just start crying for no reason. . .luckily I wasn't prego though and it was just that time of the month! =)

Kristen said...

Oh, Keri thanks for the laughs. Been there and done that. I definitely feel for you. It's no fun to not have any control over your emotions. Isn't pregnancy great? How far along are you now? I'm just wishing I could have my pre-baby body back now! Best of luck to you!

Aubrey said...

You and Ryan are so good for each other. I'm glad you have such a supportive husband to help you through the crazy pregnancy months.

Megan Bartlett said...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!! You're pregnant!!! That's so exciting, Keri!!! Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! Oh that's so funny that you're so emotional when your hormones are going crazy...Who isn't, really? That is so fantastic!

Tracy Giles said...

Hilarious!!! It's good you are able to look back and laugh. I do stuff like that all the time when I'm pregnant. Glad to know I'm not the only one :)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!! I have been MIA from looking on other people's blog . . . so all of this is a big surprise!

How exciting!!!!! You are such a great Mom . . . one of the best!

Gary and Mauri said...

haha! This makes me laugh. But only because I can TOTALLY relate! Good thing you have such a great hubby to deal with your emotions....he's a good guy! :)

Kellie Huffman said...

Pregnancy, you gotta love it!!! Congrats, Keri!! Good luck with everything! You're stories are hilarious.

Natalie said...

I love it!!! Classic.

The Sagers said...

That makes me laugh cuz I had similar experiences in the past few months. It's good to know that I'm not the only one that cries for no reason. I tend to cry at any random commercial. Steve thinks I'm a nut, but now I have proof it's not just me.

Seantae Jackson said...

That is so funny.... and it's always about food. How far along are you? How are you feeling?

MUTHABOMB said...

I love your stories! When I was pregnant with Jeffrey, Jeff used to look at me and just say "CRY" in this voice and I would just lose it! (Yes it was sooo mean of him to do, but we look back and laugh 9 years later)

btw You looked so pretty on Sunday!