Today I had one of the sweetest experiences. I've been staying at my grandparents' home here in Highlands Ranch. Before we started eating breakfast this morning, I watched Pop-Pop fill each glass with orange juice. He began with mine, Grammy's, and last, his. However, when he got to his glass, there was not enough for even half. As a result, he took his glass and emptied the contents into his beloved Grammy's glass, filling hers to the brim.
This simple act may seem unimportant and completely ridiculous, but it really almost brought tears to my eyes. This sweet man has so much love my dear Grammy. Even though he's as sick as he is, he tries to serve her in every way he possibly can. In addition, this little act of service was such a big deal, because Pop-Pop is doing chemotherapy. Although the steroids have improved his appetite, both in taste and quantity, foods still do not always taste the best. For him to give up a craving or something that actually tasted good was a big deal. It really touched my heart.
I tagged along for the chemotherapy this morning. This cancer center is a really preaceful place. There is a calming waterfall upon entrance to the building. Each staff member greets you with a genuine smile and recognition. If they don't know you, they will seek you out to show you kindness. Every staff member I met seemed to really know just what to say to brighten the patrons of the cancer center.
Aside from the staff, there is the support of the infusion center. There are about 6 or 7 squares cut out with four reclining chairs and guests chairs. Each patient sits in one of the reclining chairs while they receive their chemo through a port-a-cath (I'm sure that's spelled wrong.). The great thing about the set-up is that the patients can talk to each other while they're receiving their treatment. They can lean on each other and realize that others understand, that others are going through the same trials, and lend support on so many levels.
In addition, sweet girl scout groups and other groups have offered service. People have brought hats, blankets, Valentine's and other gifts to brighten the patients' days.
It was a very sweet and humbling experience to sit with my Pop-Pop today. I sat with him and watched him, as he mustered the courage in silence to see his doctor to find out results to different tests and then, receive his chemo treatment. It occurred to me what a guile-less man he is. He just doesn't have a mean bone in his body. I watched various individuals, old and young, as they waited their turns.
If you lack courage, spend some time in a treatment center. You will be awe-inspired by the patrons of that ward and how each of them face death each day. But they do it with a smile. They do it with tears. They do it with kindness. They do it with patience. They conquer the pain. They conquer the lack of energy. They conquer the inconvenience. They conquer the time factor (many knowing not much is left). They conquer fear.
What a blessing for our family to be united at this time. We have come together in prayer on so many occassions, and now we come together again. My sweet Grammy goes to each treatment with my Pop-Pop. Children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren attend appointments and treatments. Although this is a really trying time for our family, we embrace the atonement of Jesus Christ. We find strength through Him. Whatever happens, we will be together forever.
3 comments:
That is beautiful Keri. Thank you for sharing your sweet experience and testimony.
Your family is really special Keri. I know the service that your grandparents and parents give and they have blessed many others. It was nice to see you and your sons at your grandparents tonight.
I checked out your friend's photography and they are great. I like here work a lot.
The link that you asked about is http://www.larrymatney.com. Not much online, but enjoy.
Larry & Diana
Keri, thank you so much for the comment on our blog, your words of encouragement totally help out. I needed a reminder of the things you said.
I hope you are hanging in there. Sounds like you are having a good time with you grandparents and seeing how wonderfully they treat each other. What a priveledge to go to treatments with your pop-pop. Thanks again!
Post a Comment