Thursday, March 8, 2012

66

Letters From My Children Matthew wrote me one of the sweetest notes I have ever received in my life. He'd had a bit of a rough day yesterday and came home rather cranky and ornery. I became frustrated with the complaining and whining and started talking a bit harshly--okay, really harshly. It resulted in this:

Matthew: Just say it, Mom. You think we're so messy and not clean kids. (Then, he stormed off to his room crying.)

I continued to go about cleaning and cooking. Then:

Matthew: You know what? I'm leaving this family. I'm getting a new family. I'm packing my bag and I'm going. (Still crying and emptying his school backpack.)

I still continued to clean and cook. Then:

Matthew: I'm going to write you a letter, Mom, and tell you how I feel.

Me: That is a fabulous idea. Really. I like that a lot. When you are angry and upset, that is a wonderful way to express yourself and communicate how you feel. I'll get you a pencil. Do you have a notebook.

15 Minutes later I had a letter in my hand. Now, I read it in the laundry room, away from anyone, and I expected something like this. "Dear Mom, You are the meanest mom ever. I don't like you. I don't like when you ask me to do chores. Etc, etc."

This is what I read:

From: Matthew
To: Mom

Dear Mom,

I am sary. You are my best friend. I love you so much. I am sary for unpacking my backpack and saying, I am lieving this family. Your my best mom. I am sary for saying meen things to you.

Love, Matthew

Ummm, that pretty much blew me away and brought me to tears. I held Matthew for a long time after that. We went into my room and talked over our frustrations, apologized, and discussed ideas for the future. We further talked about the idea of writing letters and notes back and forth to each other in a notebook--just the two of us. Oh, I love being a mama. These boys sure do teach me.

I'm so thankful for Matthew's sweet note and example of being a peacemaker in our home.

1 comment:

Rachel Seren said...

I love that idea! Maybe it's an oldest child thing but Jesse has been having a hard time lately. I think I will try this.