Monday, March 12, 2012

Version 69.0

Family Traditions We made our annual visit to Mr. Froberg's farm today. Oh, it was delightful! The strawberry patch was extra muddy, due to the crazy amounts of rain we have received the last week, but we still LOVED it!!! We paid for our little bucket and then, perused the patch in search of the deepest red and largest strawberry out there. Even Ethan enjoyed picking the berries and putting them in the bucket.

I can't quite explain what this does for my soul, but it is seriously something MAGICAL. I lived in North Carolina for part of my childhood, and we frequented the sweet potato and strawberry patch church welfare farms near our home. I remember going to the patch with my mother and a few friends to pick strawberries for our family, and then, I also remember going with either our ward or stake. The kids ran the rows of the patches together, and many times, we ate more strawberries than we picked. There's just something about seeing something grow and the fruits of a labor.

Anyway, I was so excited to see the joy in my children's eyes. It took me back to my childhood, and I'm grateful I could give that to my children.

We picked out an assortment of homemade fried pies afterwards, purchased various produce like baby picklers, crooked neck squash, zuccini, beautiful red potatoes, and lettuce at the farmer's market. Then, we picked up our barbeque brisket sandwiches, which ended up being beef--major bummer; I was really looking forward to the brisket. And the kids played at the little play area.

Oh, it was a great day.






No comments: