One of my favorite quotes comes from You've Got Mail. I know, roll your eyes, Ryan. But honestly, I feel like this quote is so profound. I know that I am not going to get it verbatim, but basically Meg Ryan says, "I live a good but simple life. Do I do it because I want to or do I do it because I wasn't brave?" I used to think that this quote was really profound. I guess I still do, because it really made me think. However, at the same token, who lives a simple life? Heavenly Father loves each of us, and He knows what we need. He gives each of us different growing opportunities when we need them. These challenges provide us with the means to become closer to Him and better people. We each have relationships / friendships. These are by no means simple things. Life is adventurous. You never know what will happen next, but you have faith that things are going to work out. Nephi said he glories in plainness and in truth. I guess it's back to that "catch 22".
The bishop in my parents' ward talked about prayer last week. He talked about how Heavenly Father will grant our righteous desires if we ask for them. He's waiting to bless us. I guess I'm struggling with that and faith. Faith is believing without seeing, but it's also submitting our will to Heavenly Father's will for us. Maybe I'm praying for the wrong things. Maybe I need to just be praying to align my will with Heavenly Father's will. Surely, he knows just what I need and where I need to head into the future. If I do this, then my desires will always be righteous. Please let me know your thoughts. This has been on my mind quite a bit.
2 comments:
Wow, so I totally needed this today! I got teary just reading it. It sounds like we are having the same feelings. I have faith that in the long run things will go the way they are supposed to if you continue on in faith. I believe all will work out in the end, but on the day to day basis it can be hard to always hold onto that. When you are in the middle of a trial it's hard to see the end, therefore it's hard to see that in the end it's a small moment in your life. My answer to this and really to myself is pray! Pray continually every minute to have Heavenly Father speak peace to your heart. It will come, and if you doubt again, pray again. Hope that helps, it helped me today. You're always there for me even when you don't know it! :)
Ok, so these are my thoughts, but I may be way off... I feel that when we have righteous desires, than our will is more in line with our Heavenly Father's than we might realize. Like you said, He wants to bless us. It takes faith to keep going day after day, and I think that by merely not giving up shows that faith. I think it is important to pray, no matter what! Our Heavenly Father knows us better than we know ourselves. So even when the words we say when we pray may seem awkward or unsure, He understands... He understands what it is we need, and want, even without us saying them. But it is us that is trying to follow the Spirit to find out what it is we need. As long as you are doing all you can to have the Spirit with you, then, as we experience life, our faith will continue to grow, making it easier to have that faith.
I don't know if any of those random thoughts made any sense. :)
Thank you for making me think!! You are a wonderful example to me of someone who has great faith.
Post a Comment