Brad Green We buried you today, Big Guy. It feels very surreal, and yet, we feel at peace. We don't mourn or worry over what occupies your life now. We know of the great work you will accomplish on the other side, and just think--no more oxygen tanks, no more respiratory illnesses of any kind, no more limitations or temptations--NOTHING is going to hold you back. We are certain a sweet reunion of sorts has taken place, as you have met with the many friends and family, as well as prophets of old, who went before you. Perhaps, you and my Pop-Pop might sit down for a chat. I think you two would get along so well.
It's shocking to think that you were only 50. Your soul was so seasoned, so wise.
Brad, we don't know why you chose us, but for whatever reason, we were the lucky ones. Our very first Sunday here, you sought us out. I still remember where we sat in the stake center for conference. It was about two rows back in the gym, because we were cutting the time close. Immediately, though the chapel felt crowded with swarms of people, you came to us. You asked us if we were new, and just like that, we had a friend. And it wasn't a one-time, "Hi. Okay, nice to meet you," and we'll never speak again. You went out of your way from that time forward to help us with anything and everything from fellowship and friendship to hardships to date nights to whatever.
I remember when I spoke in this ward for the first time, I could hardly walk from the pregnancy, and I had some contractions going, and really, I shouldn't have been there. After sacrament, you took my hand, and guided me to the van. You kissed my cheek and told me that you loved me. Then, you showed up later that night with Patty to deliver dinner.
Our house flooded in 2010. Who was a first responder? Brad and Patty Green with Mike & Cindy Skye. Who showed up at our hotel with food? Who came over time and time again to give Priesthood blessings? What about when our home was "broken into?" Who secured our house and checked every window for intruders?
Sometimes, you and Patty could just tell that we were having a rough time with our kids, and you knew we couldn't afford babysitters. You took our kids to your home for the evening and did fun movie nights with them.
Each winter, since we've moved here, my kids have so looked forward to the oranges brought over in an HEB or brown paper sack.
I won't forget dinners after stake conference at Skeeters or when you guys won the dice at the V-day date.
Brother Green, every time I spoke to you, you always turned it back to the Savior. Whatever we talked about, you always brought it back to the hand of the Lord in your life. You bore your testimony and you left me with a stronger desire to be more like Jesus Christ. Your Gospel knowledge of books, prophets, words of such, the scriptures, everything was so great; yet, you walked in humility always.
You bore a living testimony of the temple and temple covenants. That was apparent in your weekly trips to the temple, as well as your devotion to Patty.
I remember that toward the end, you had a really rough battle. So many things going wrong with your body, so many inner trials that occurred as a result. Through all of this, we thought maybe we were the ones offering you support. Ryan tried to call regularly, stop by, and help you by being the friend you were to him and to us. Little did he know that there was no way to ever repay Brother Green. You called regularly to check on Ryan--even though you had so much going on. Sometimes, you and Patty just stopped by to listen. You sat there, as we wept over certain situations and struggles. You pledged your support, offered your love, and did that much more for us.
When we think of you, three things are always going to come to mind. First, your son, Chris, told the funniest story about you and a game of basketball today at your service. I'm still laughing about it, and I think it makes us love you that much more. Second, our word for you is discipleship. You were truly a disciple of Jesus Christ. Since your passing, Patty has conveyed to us that you guys loved us and that you especially loved us. Brad, we know. We never thought otherwise. We knew it, because when you asked us how we were doing or wanted to hear about something, you paid attention to the details. You sat there and listened and you really wanted to know how we were--good or bad. You looked into our eyes and told us that you loved us. Just by knowing you, we were brought closer to Jesus Christ. You personally took upon yourself the mission to feed His sheep and that's what you did. I will always remember your service.
Friends like you are rare, and we feel ever blessed and grateful to have yours. We think of you as a father, grandfather, brother, and friend. We love you. We will miss you greatly, and we promise to care for your sweet wife. Until we meet again, we know Heavenly Father will be with you.

1 comment:
Keri, this made me cry! I don't know this man, but I wish I did. I'm sorry you lost your friend. Hugs!
Post a Comment