Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thank You #29

Gardening Tonight we ate fresh broccoli from our garden and the boys snacked on fresh cauliflower earlier in the day. I don't know what it is, but something about growing things and learning how it works leaves me feeling terrific and satisfied. Texas is lucky enough to have two growing seasons. While I hate the summer heat, the humidity and other climatic conditions make this possible. So grateful I get to experience life through plants and flowers.
. . . On the cauliflower, most of it had already seeded. The problem has been the weather. We seriously had an AWFUL drought this summer. Then, we all got to fasting for rain and what not, and oh boy did it come. This has been the wettest winter we've had since we've been here. Most of our plants in our fall garden seeded really fast due to the drastic changes from one extreme to another. Anyway, we salvaged one final broccoli plant and if we cross our fingers long enough, we might get one more.

Back to the cauliflower--almost all of it seeded. You'll note how big these are and they turn almost to a fur-like structure, instead of solid and firm. They also look somewhat purplish in color. Anyway, we saved the little parts that we could and all of it tasted delicious. (Yes, we remembered to soak it in the salt water to kill the bugs.) We have two more plants that haven't seeded at all yet, and they should be ready within a few days' time. Excitement!!! I planted six broccoli and six cauliflower and every single one of them grew. I'm AMAZED! (Special thanks goes to Lori and Ty. These ladies told me about a few tricks of the trade, and I think I'll try them again with my spring garden.)

No comments: