Monday, April 30, 2012

118

Seeing Something Good Come Out of Trials Ryan and I spent last night in the er. We arrived around 8 p.m. and left around 4 a.m. It was a LONG night to say the least. Something really cool happened, though, and I'm convinced that's why we ended up where we did. We initially drove to Katy Hermann Memorial, but the wait time was over 3 hours, and they said the ambulances were bringing people non-stop. We seriously had to scrounge to find chairs to sit in. In addition, we called Methodist and they told us the same story over the phone. As a result, we tried Christus St. Catherine's, and sure enough, their waiting area appeared the most promising. Shortly after arriving, more and more people began showing up. We got bumped further down each time, as some of these people's issues needed to be resolved in a timely manner. Just minutes after sitting down to watch one of the NBA playoff games, a man in his 40's arrived with who appeared to be his father in a wheelchair and his mother by his side. They rolled in the chair, as well as a suitcase full of various scrips, papers, records, meds, the works. We later learned that this man had just finished his 3rd round of chemo, and had really just started the fight for his life. Over the course of the next two hours, we talked about politics, we talked about faith, about courage, about cancer, about God, about morals and principles, about prayer, about tithing, about the divinity and role of motherhood, about the purpose of trials and experiences, and about so many other things. I had the chance to clarify about my beliefs and what LDS people really believe. I bore testimony of the Savior. I bore testimony of lots of things. I felt such compassion for this man, as I saw the same look in his eyes that I saw so many times in my grandfather's. I felt compassion and charity for his sweet wife. She looked just like a dear friend from my childhood, Carol Thompson. Her eyes twinkled, and her face seemed to glow. She exuded kindness, warmth, and love for anyone around--truly, a gentle soul. When this couple was called back to be treated, we exchanged goodbyes, and the wife hugged me. In some ways it felt a little bit bizzarre, but I honestly feel like part of our coming to this hospital was to meet this man, to uplift his family, to bring him comfort, encourage him and support him, learn from him, somehow extend the support and honor I gave to my Pop-Pop and continue to give to him by sustaining this family. We were called back a short time later and ended up rooming next to this family. By the time they finished all of my testing and release forms, it was close to 4 a.m. We felt exhausted. I was certain this man and his wife would be asleep when I walked by their room. However, the man beckoned to me as we were leaving. He asked me if he could ask me a personal question. Then, he started in with various questions about the church and which specific location I attended. It turns out he attends the Catholic Epiphany Church located just west of our stake center. He and his wife attend the Christmas choir concert put on by both churches at our stake center each year. He said he would be looking for me. He, then, inquired of my health and if things were alright. I told him I would keep him and his family in our prayers, and then, I left. I know, without a doubt, Terrance Walsh, was the reason why we needed to be in that er. I'm so grateful for the Lord placing us where we need to be when we need to be there. I would never wish cancer on anyone. It is awful. It is even worse to watch a loved one suffer through it, but I'm grateful that my experience can offer hope and support and empathy for individuals now going through it. This is a blessing.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I love how you find the good in every situation! It appears that you were meant to find this family. Thanks for being such a great example. I'm glad that you are feeling better. And, congrats on the weight-loss!