Friday, May 4, 2012
124 Blessings
Courage Today something really special happened in a really unexpected way. I took a fasting David for his routine blood work to the Quest lab. This isn't the first time we've been there, and it certainly won't be the last. The ladies know us, as both Matthew and David have work done there. The same two ladies always greet us and they always comment about how handsome David is and smile at him. It's a pretty big tender mercy, because if you watch them with adults, they are not nearly as friendly. It's taken much preparation and calming of nerves to get my boys to casually walk into this center.
Anyway, as our regular phlebotomist took us back to our usual room and chair, and began filling out the routine paperwork, I sort of stepped outside of myself. I felt a sting of pain inside for my boys. Our life, for a while now, has revolved around doctor's appointments, therapies, blood draws, and such. We still live life, but the boys are just accustomed to our weekly appointments. Of course, this is a little bit easier, now that we are not down at Texas Children's one day a week. However, even that will change soon, as we have to start regular behavior therapy again. All of these thoughts went through my mind, as I watched our friend prep David's arm.
As he began to feel a bit nervous and anxious, I took his other hand in mine, and then, I told him to just look into my eyes and not to watch the needle. While one hand gripped tightly around his free one, my other one began to stroke his face and focus his eyes into mine. He held my gaze for almost the entire time. I continued to search his little face and felt my heart strings tug, as his eyes welled up with tears. But he never shed them or cried out. Instead, he intently looked into my face for comfort.
I realized, then, just how much courage this little one has. He's already overcome so much, and while we may not have anything drastic or life-threatening, like cancer, it takes courage to face some of the things that we do everyday in our life. I'm amazed that Heavenly Father chose me to be surrounded by three such wonderful little boys. They strengthen me and teach me, and I'm grateful for them. I'm especially grateful for this experience where I witnessed such a divine attribute from my five-year-old son.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
So true, Keri. Love this post. Love you!
Post a Comment